PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need some help with a big problem...

Gueido
December 2nd, 2008, 11:32 PM
I have a question ... is this possible ...

(1) I have 4 PC's.

(a) The big XP/Pro system is the main workhorse computer, and has the printer tied to it. It is hard wired to a Linksys Wireless-G router (which is hardwired to a RCA modem which interfaces me to my cable service.

(b) The other XP (home) is a laptop that is wirelessly connected to my Linksys router for Internet service. It is also connected to the big XP/Pro and each of the XP machines can share files with the other; also, as long as the big XP/Pro system is booted up, the laptop can print on the printer attached to the big XP/Pro system.

(c) My third system is a Mac PowerPC G4, connected by hardwire to the Internet through the Linksys router. I would like to be able to print from it, if possible. I need to research that possibility to see if I need a special print driver.

(d) Finally, my fourth system is a Linux/Ubuntu system on a 7-9 year old Compaq; it is also connected by hardwire to the Internet through the Linksys router. I would like to be able to print from it, if possible. I need to research that possibility to see if I need a special print driver.

So, here are the objective: connect the Mac and the Ubuntu computers to the network so (a) they can share files and (b) use the XP/Pro's printer.

So, your thoughts ... are my objectives obtainable (file and print sharing with these two platforms)

Casey Collins

... and here is the setup, absent the Mac, which I had not purchased in June when I took this snapshot:
http://websquad.com/dual/june2008.jpg

Gueido
December 4th, 2008, 03:21 AM
so did my post get passed up...