PDA

View Full Version : Eee by gum!

gn2
December 2nd, 2008, 09:58 PM
Why on earth would anyone buy one of these (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/150606) rather than a laptop when a Core 2 Duo model would cost £100 less...?

As for the OS, ASUS don't seem to be as keen on Linux these days.

And touchscreen = smeary mess = yuck.

billgoldberg
December 2nd, 2008, 10:49 PM
Why on earth would anyone buy one of these (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/150606) rather than a laptop when a Core 2 Duo model would cost £100 less...?

As for the OS, ASUS don't seem to be as keen on Linux these days.

And touchscreen = smeary mess = yuck.

My eeepc 900 works perfectly (with a customised kernel).

Dragonbite
December 3rd, 2008, 03:18 PM
Depending on the touch screen sensitivity I would love a system with a touch screen! This would be so handy when I'm working on graphics and layout/design!

I wonder, can this be picked up and used as a tablet or is it a desktop-only system?

Paqman
December 3rd, 2008, 03:31 PM
"Lifestyle" system innit. Designed to compete with Macs for shinyness, hence the touchscreen. A lot of people in that market equate price with quality.

Johnsie
December 3rd, 2008, 04:25 PM
Netbook companies have a good reason to give up on Linux. People are buying the little things because they look cute and then realising they dont have a clue how to use the cut down version of Linux on them.

Wjy would anyone buy the machine in question? It looks lightweight and doesnt seem to take alot of space. Also, ASUS build pretty good hardware.

I think the main problem with ASUS at the moment is that they are releasing too many random things too quickly. For me the question is not why I would buy it, it's how do I keep up?

My phone is touch screen and there are no smears on it for some reason. Maybe they've found a way to make surfaces smear less easily.

gn2
December 3rd, 2008, 04:27 PM
My eeepc 900 works perfectly (with a customised kernel).

That's nice, but the device in question isn't anywhere near as useful as your netbook....

Johnsie
December 3rd, 2008, 05:02 PM
I watched the video on that page and it looked pretty cool. I rarely pay over £60 for a desktop computer though and my crt monitor does just fine. It's not that I cant afford it, I just dont see the point in spending so much money when my needs are much lower. Surfing the web and editing text files doesn't require a high end system.

I do have an eeepc though and that is pretty handy... And very rugged. I've broken 2 normal laptops before, but my eeepc goes everywhere I go and is still in one piece after 6 months.

I think the target of these machines will be business who want to present things well and for trendy appartments/houses. Could be useful in a pub situation too.

Dragonbite
December 3rd, 2008, 05:12 PM
That's nice, but the device in question isn't anywhere near as useful as your netbook....

I predict that, if the OS developers don't flub it up, touchscreens is going to grow and eventually become the standard interface in the future.

The iPhone is one of the means in which people are getting comfortable and used to the touch screen interface.

The OLPC version 2 that isn't out yet is a laptop where the keyboard portion is a touch screen with the keys displayed but the system can be opened flat for a 2-screen game (pong, in this instance).

Imagine how much easier kiosks are with fewer moving parts? The table-top system Microsoft is working on is another example.

As home automation grows (and it is growing, but still slowly) the touchscreens will be helpful because the software maker can customize the screen for their purposes. Buy one physical screen and have the software determine what buttons are on it? Sounds like a no-brainer for deployment.

I'm actually like this system, but I'm not in the market to buy at this time.

Swagman
December 3rd, 2008, 05:25 PM
If anyone puts their greasy fingers on my monitor I will switch their lights off.

Also.. Are people really going to stretch two feet up to a thousand times a day (touching screen) just to use their computers ?

Touch screen has it's purposes.... They are NOT for general desktop usage.

Also...

I took my daughter to Staples yesterday to buy an EeePc 701. The guy said "You do realise this has lie-nux installed on it" ?

I said "thats a BONUS then"

We got it home and it was a breeze to setup. Found our wireless connection and connected straight off the bat.

Interface looks nice. Doing what it says on the Tin.
I don't see any advantage to installing a different O/s / distro on it. These things aren't built for gaming or deep stuff... So they do what they do pretty well.

Now my two younger daughters want one each

:-(

( My eldest daughter is 20 and paid for it herself)

Dragonbite
December 3rd, 2008, 05:47 PM
If anyone puts their greasy fingers on my monitor I will switch their lights off.

Also.. Are people really going to stretch two feet up to a thousand times a day (touching screen) just to use their computers ?

My flat screen at work is close enough that I wouldn't be stretching to reach it.

Just like there is a placement change between CRT and flat screen monitors there would be a change to bring these monitors to within range.