PDA

View Full Version : Maddox

linuxguymarshall
December 2nd, 2008, 09:58 PM
I discovered Maddox when he wrote his iPhone vs Nokia E70 (My Phone) article and I must say I enjoy his humor.

Anyone else like Maddox?

rudihawk
December 2nd, 2008, 10:09 PM
Nope, I don't. Too coarse, arrogant and pompus. Although some of his stuff is rather humourous :D

Cammy
December 2nd, 2008, 10:19 PM
I think I read his page a few years back and am honestly surprised that it still exists. There was nothing I really found even remotely amusing. It's like he was trying too hard to be funny/shocking/whatever.

will1911a1
December 2nd, 2008, 10:20 PM
Thought he was amusing 5 years ago. I'm surprised he's still around.

SomeGuyDude
December 2nd, 2008, 10:44 PM
Back in 2000-2003, Maddox was THE site on the internet. I can't say I've visited more than a dozen times in the past two years though, he just ran out of steam.

Gotta remember he started in 1998. Ten years for a site that's basically him writing rants is pretty damn good.

billgoldberg
December 2nd, 2008, 10:47 PM
Thought he was amusing 5 years ago. I'm surprised he's still around.

He makes almost no posts anymore.

I think he only made 3 or so this year (to lazy to check).

I enjoy reading his articles, they are amusing to read.

DeadSuperHero
December 2nd, 2008, 10:52 PM
I've always loved his wit and satirical points. His writing style is something to admire, in my opinion.

He also released a satirical "How-To" book titled "The Alphabet of Manliness", which is a brilliant read provided you understand the angles of his humor.

NintendoTogepi
December 2nd, 2008, 11:02 PM
I'm not a fan.

Kingsley
December 2nd, 2008, 11:11 PM
Dude. His site got lame like 3 years ago. But if you just discovered him, you may as well read his past stuff. It was quite entertaining.

hellion0
December 2nd, 2008, 11:42 PM
I like what he was, what his site was. The past stuff was definitely shocking, but the recent stuff... he's trying too hard.

klange
December 2nd, 2008, 11:47 PM
He's on my list of top five favorite ***holes. Linus is on there, too.

billgoldberg
December 2nd, 2008, 11:56 PM
He's on my list of top five favorite ***holes. Linus is on there, too.

Lol.

Who are the other 3?

-grubby
December 3rd, 2008, 12:54 AM
I was a fan of him a few years ago. Every once in a while he conjurs up something hilarious.

klange
December 3rd, 2008, 01:00 AM
Lol.

Who are the other 3?

rms; the original BOFH, despite being a fictional character (or is he?); and myself.

Polygon
December 3rd, 2008, 01:11 AM
maddox is amazing, Not many people get that half of the stuff is him just joking around. I think his recent articles are funny too =P

my friend got the book by maddox, the a to z thing (i forget the name). its nothing short of hilarious xD

linuxguymarshall
December 3rd, 2008, 01:42 AM
Dude. His site got lame like 3 years ago. But if you just discovered him, you may as well read his past stuff. It was quite entertaining.

I have. All of it.

DeadSuperHero
December 3rd, 2008, 03:56 AM
rms; the original BOFH, despite being a fictional character (or is he?); and myself.

The BOFH is amazing. +1

notwen
December 3rd, 2008, 04:05 PM
Twas quality in the late 90s, but now it's gotten kinda stale, although it may be me getting older. Maybe a combination of both. =]

detroit/zero
December 3rd, 2008, 05:24 PM
Maddox was funny, once upon a time. I found and started reading him in mid-2004. By 2005, you could tell he was trying too hard.

Old act is old.

chucky chuckaluck
December 3rd, 2008, 05:39 PM
i had forgotten about him. he tries too hard, but he's still funny. picture tommy lasorda living in his mom's basement.

TheLinuxNewb
December 3rd, 2008, 05:56 PM
I have found myself laughing uncontrollably when reading some of his posts. Some people get overly offended by him though, as well.

In otherwords, I love maddox:D

Sand & Mercury
December 3rd, 2008, 06:00 PM
There was a time I would check every day for new material, but in recent years he's gone downhill fast, especially since he published his book. Updates are very sparse these days and his articles aren't really funny anymore. The archives are still good reading, but as has been said before, he's lost the touch.

Chilli Bob
December 3rd, 2008, 09:06 PM
I came to Maddox late, but reading through his archives was always good for a laugh. My favorite was when he critiqued children's drawings. Epic lol.

Trail
December 4th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Back in 2000-2003, Maddox was THE site on the internet. I can't say I've visited more than a dozen times in the past two years though, he just ran out of steam.

Gotta remember he started in 1998. Ten years for a site that's basically him writing rants is pretty damn good.

++

MikeTheC
December 4th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Never heard of him before.

Personally, my favorite tech writer (probably of all time) has got to be Andy Ihnatko.

Raptormn
December 4th, 2008, 11:05 AM
have you guys read "I hope the serve beer in hell" by tucker max.

great stuff. totally rude bs.

lumberjack punching Santa Claus in the face.