PDA

View Full Version : How many books have you read this year?

Abras
December 2nd, 2008, 09:04 PM
This year I made a New Years resolution to read fifty books this year and I just accomplished my goal last week! So of course I'm pretty happy about that, but I'm also curious about how much other people managed to read this year. And don't worry if you didn't get a whole lot of reading done. There's always next year. :)

y6FgBn)~v
December 2nd, 2008, 09:17 PM
In the process of weening myself from the technical books I instinctively reach for now and enjoying more of the fiction and/or science fiction I was fond of reading in my youth. Any recommendations for those genres would be greatly appreciated. Especially some of the more recent titles.

Lightstar
December 2nd, 2008, 09:24 PM
wow 50 books that's alot!

I've been kinda too much into anime and video games this year, I've only read about 3 books (though one is 100 chapters, usually split into 4 volumes). But I did read about 20 scientific american magazines.

I need to restart reading more, I should continue reading my Xanth collection, I haven't finished it.

If anyone is into fantasy, check out Xanth, it's awesome!
The books don't actually follow each other, but they do follow that world's timeline.. so it's best to start with the first books and move up, that way you'll get to know who's who and see the kids and beasts grow up.

cmay
December 2nd, 2008, 09:31 PM
with out a doubt over fifty. i have no tv where i live so if i start to count the amount of online pdf books i have and have read its over 20. i have more joy out of a real book from the libray so i go get at least five or six books every week. and the i buy books i like. all of them are non-fiction and i like to know things but i cant rembember anything i read. i have a dvd player and i can watch dvd on my computer so i also borrow dvd movies from the library but books are more easy for me to relax with now. i think i seen so many movies by now i kind of get bored easy with them.

linuxguymarshall
December 2nd, 2008, 09:37 PM
I have read The Ubuntu Bible. C++ for Dummies and just started reading 'Memoirs of a Boy Soldier'

skymera
December 2nd, 2008, 09:44 PM
What is this term "book" you speak of?

My brain understands: Wikipedia, Google.

That's about it.

nesman89
December 2nd, 2008, 10:37 PM
I have read 8 books this year and i am currently reading number 9. which is 8 more than i read last year.

Rokurosv
December 2nd, 2008, 10:48 PM
I didn't used to read that much but I've trying to change that, so far I've read about 12 books this year, right now I'm reading a couple of science fiction books, and I still have a bunch of Warhammer novels that I have to read, I've only read 1 but it was awesome. Space Marines Ataaaaaack!.

jimi_hendrix
December 2nd, 2008, 10:50 PM
im a slow reader and normally am to tired when i get into bed to read

Abras
December 3rd, 2008, 12:38 AM
In the process of weening myself from the technical books I instinctively reach for now and enjoying more of the fiction and/or science fiction I was fond of reading in my youth. Any recommendations for those genres would be greatly appreciated. Especially some of the more recent titles. Well, what kinds of books do you like? I know that's not the easiest question to answer. Maybe just listing a few of the books you really enjoyed would help.

I've been a big fan of sci-fi for years, and in that time I've found very few contemporary sci-fi books that I really enjoyed. Orson Scott Card and Corey Doctorow are basically the only two living sci-fi authors that I read, and even they aren't at the top of my list. I'm sure there is some good modern sci-fi out there...I just haven't found much of it yet. And by the look of this list (http://home.austarnet.com.au/petersykes/topscifi/lists_books_rank1.html) I'm not exactly alone on that.

PhoenixMaster00
December 3rd, 2008, 12:45 AM
Ive read Assimovs foundation books excluding Forward the foundation so thats 6, Brisingr which is a huge book itself, Linux Bible 2008 (noob insurance), Last Night a DJ saved a life. So 9 altogether although normally more but been trying to find new Sci-fi/Fantasy books (any suggestions would be great). Nothing like a good book i find them more addictive than anything once you get into one.

andras artois
December 3rd, 2008, 12:56 AM
Terry Pratchett's discworld manngggg.

Dharmachakra
December 3rd, 2008, 01:05 AM
I just finished reading The Black Hole War by Leonard Susskind. I love reading physics... unforutunately I'm still in high school and can't get my teeth in to all of the math.

I've probably read pieces of about two hundred books this year but only read maybe forty books from cover to cover. And you bet none of those were assigned. ;) Actually, I did read The Things They Carried, which was assigned, and it was a great book.

For the person looking for something to read; go to Amazon and search the type of things you like in "listmania!". I usually search a topic in books and then you'll find the option to search "listmania!" a bit down the page on the left. I don't know of any other way to get there... which is sad because that's the only way I look for new books on Amazon.

Anyways, you'll be glad you looked, I'm sure of it.

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 3rd, 2008, 01:08 AM
I haven't read very many books this year; however, I just had cataract surgery on both eyes. I went from legally blind to 20/40 vision. I plan to read a lot next year.

Abras
December 3rd, 2008, 04:57 AM
Ive read Assimovs foundation books excluding Forward the foundation so thats 6, Brisingr which is a huge book itself, Linux Bible 2008 (noob insurance), Last Night a DJ saved a life. So 9 altogether although normally more but been trying to find new Sci-fi/Fantasy books (any suggestions would be great). Nothing like a good book i find them more addictive than anything once you get into one. So what did you think of the Foundation series? I read the whole series too... I loved the first one but my enthusiasm dampened a bit with each new book. I particularly didn't like the tie-in of the Robot series, and I thought the whole Gaia thing was goofy.

abhilashm86
December 3rd, 2008, 07:27 AM
i have done about 14 books till now,most r technical,also pdf ebooks a lot!!!!!i like about myth books a lot............

matthew
December 3rd, 2008, 03:46 PM
Yay! People who read!!

This was a slow year for me, so I voted 41-50. Usually it is much more.

aaaantoine
December 3rd, 2008, 04:29 PM
I can't say that I've read 50 books in my lifetime. And if I had, I couldn't name them all.

When I say that, I should be sure to qualify a "book" as:
- A work of fiction.
- Longer than 150 pages.
- Not containing pictures.

I read all sorts of stuff online, but rarely do I read books. When I do read fiction, it's usually a short story or part of a role playing experience.

jomiolto
December 3rd, 2008, 06:06 PM
Too few! I haven't kept count, but probably around ten. I generally abhor television and I don't watch a lot of movies either, but I've loved reading ever since I discovered that the books we had to read for school assignments weren't the only literature available. When I was still in high school, I usually read a book or two every week, but now that I'm in university I actually have to study and I don't have that much time. I've also been reading a lot of fan fiction on the Internet, so that cuts my book reading time too ;)

Fortunately I should have plenty of time for reading on the Christmas holidays -- especially if the weather continues being this terrible...

Paqman
December 3rd, 2008, 06:35 PM
This year I made a New Years resolution to read fifty books this year

Respect. I know I could only do that if I played pretty fast and loose with the definition of "book".

Sand & Mercury
December 3rd, 2008, 06:36 PM
Let me think:

The Blade Itself
Before They Are Hanged
Last Argument Of Kings
The Greener Shore
The Call Of Ctuhlhu and Other Weird Stories
Lunar Park
Lords Of Chaos
Romana Cu Sau Fara Un Profesor (lololol)
Black Juice
and I'm currently reading Steppenwolf.

So, not really a whole lot compared to some of the bookworms here, but I have a few. I read quite a lot of fanfiction (lololololol) and am in the process of writing a book myself.

Miguel
December 3rd, 2008, 06:59 PM
I think I've read about 18-20 this year, so I've voted 11-20. However, that doesn't count any "work" material so no, Ashcroft's Solid State Physics doesn't count, and neither do the tons of physics papers I read. I've found however that I read a lot in the internet, and I am perfectly able of wasting more than an hour reading in wikipedia.