PDA

View Full Version : Atheros going completely open-source!

ack389
December 2nd, 2008, 08:14 PM
http://blogs.computerworld.com/atheros_wi_fi_goes_open_source_linux_friendly

From Article:

"If you use Wi-Fi on your laptop, there's an excellent chance you're using Atheros chipsets for your wireless networking. Atheros' silicon is in gear from Linksys, D-Link and Netgear to name but a few vendors. However, although Atheros has been popular, they haven't always been friendly to open-source and Linux developers. That has been changing over the years and now, thanks to Sam Leffler, noted open-source developer, the HAL (hardware abstraction layer) for Atheros' ath5k and ath9k chip families.

This is another major step in opening up hardware for Linux, Free BSD, and the other open-source operating systems. Earlier this year, Atheros released an open-source driver for its latest 802.11n chipsets.

While Atheros had long offered some support for Linux, it has always insisted on keeping its HAL code proprietary. Last year, an open-source alternative, OpenHAL, became available, but it wasn't completely compatible with the newer chipsets.

Now, Leffler's efforts has lead to an open HAL. Looking ahead, Leffler wrote, "This means that in the future all fixes, updates for new chips, etc. will need to be a community effort." According to Leffler, Atheros also stated, "the Linux platform will be the reference public code base so folks wanting to add support for other platforms will have to scrape the information from there."

What it all boils down to for desktop Linux users is that you can look forward to being able to wirelessly network any Linux on any laptop or desktop without a second thought. It's another great day for Linux users."

Sounds like excellent news for everyone who uses linux on laptops. I know that my laptop's wifi support was, well spotty, to say the least while my desktop with an atheros wifi chipset works like a charm.

Twitch6000
December 2nd, 2008, 09:06 PM
Oh wow this will make things so much easier for upcoming versions of Linux distros.

ack389
December 2nd, 2008, 09:24 PM
Definently, I actually ended up uninstalling Ubuntu from my laptop because even when I applied all the fixes for wifi, it would randomly turn off every few minutes. I wonder if this decision has anything to do with people writing emails or other literature directed torwards atheros. I think as we keep moving along and get more users many more companies will do something similiar to this. It seems every month or so another company hops on the bandwagon.

Brunellus
December 4th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Bump. This is probably the most interesting/important news in WiFi land I've read in a LONG time.

MikeTheC
December 4th, 2008, 01:40 AM
An indirect advantage of this is that we Linux users can now tell the "great unwashed" out there of another way in which F/OSS is benefiting the community.

It will be great to know Microsoft is having to work from open-source code, if no more than simply to rub their noses in it a little bit more.

Way to go, Atheros!!!

OutOfReach
December 4th, 2008, 01:42 AM
I applaud Atheros, and give them some of my respect. :)

dizee
December 4th, 2008, 02:12 AM
Great news but to be fair to Atheros my AR5005G wireless card has worked since I started using Ubuntu.

MikeTheC
December 4th, 2008, 06:12 AM
I'm always amazed at the things Ubuntu supports. For instance, I have this AfterTheMac Mac WiFi G54SL which worked 100% from the Intrepid Ibex Live CD of all things! So while it is, as I said above, a good thing that Atheros is doing this, it takes two to tango, and clearly the F/OSS community is doing their part.

Kudos to all!

ack389
December 4th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Well, I'm no guru but I think the fact that it doesn't work on my laptop is probably due to this HAL thing. My desktop atheros wifi is supported perfectly with the 3rd party driver.

Sand & Mercury
December 4th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Wonderful news! Hopefully this'll mean working wireless on my laptop without jumping through hoops pretty soon.

pt123
December 4th, 2008, 08:54 AM
hopefully broadcom and its crackhead owner will dissappear.

MikeTheC
December 4th, 2008, 09:58 AM
hopefully broadcom and its crackhead owner will dissappear.

+1

Broadcom may have helped with the ubiquity, but so much more could be done if they'd only embrace F/OSS. They will be overtaken, and when they are, we can all celebrate.

graabein
December 4th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Yiiihaa!!!

Polygon
December 4th, 2008, 11:26 AM
im still confused on what this actually means

does this mean that we will be using a new completely open source atheros driver, or will madwifi use the new source code and that will be open source, or what?