PDA

View Full Version : Which is better 8.04 or 8.10

||Z0di4C||
December 2nd, 2008, 07:43 PM
im kinda curious on ppls thoughts i currently run 8.04 on one of my computers and i have another computer id like to change to linux so should i 8.04 it or 8.10 it

SunnyRabbiera
December 2nd, 2008, 07:45 PM
Hardy in my opinion is better, sure Ibex might be more recent but i dont find it reliable.
Hardy should do you fine, its supported for long term and should be able to detect a good amount of hardware.

Her Ghost
December 2nd, 2008, 07:48 PM
depends entirely what you're looking for.

8.10 has more recent features, but more instability.
8.04 has slightly dated features, but less instability.

I'm on 8.10 because I've recently come back to using Ubuntu from another distro and I wanted to see where things had got to. For me, taking the more stable 8.04 wouldn't have shown me that, so I chose 8.10, but equally if I were considering putting this into a production environment or using it in a situation where stability was key, 8.04 would possibly make more sense.

Sorivenul
December 2nd, 2008, 07:49 PM
A very subjective question, indeed.

I personally am running installs of Hardy, Intrepid, and Jaunty.
From my experience, Hardy is the better release between 8.04 and 8.10, but that is for my work that mostly involves development and server activities.

glotz
December 2nd, 2008, 07:50 PM
I suggest you install 8.10 on the other box and make up your own mind. For me, the LTS (always) wins hands down.

alienexplorers
December 2nd, 2008, 08:09 PM
Love 8.04LTS, more stable and runs good on my old system. Tried 8.10 and had nothing but problems.

anotherdisciple
December 2nd, 2008, 08:20 PM
For me, 8.10... it handles ATI video cards MUCH better. It fixed my long running problem with suspend.

poetstorm
December 2nd, 2008, 08:27 PM
In my humble beginner's opinion, Heron is better, at least for laptops. I have heard good things about wireless connectivity but bad things about laptop screen monitor drivers. I installed 8.10 first before trying 8.04 and my screen resolution was terrible and the colors were staticky/ snowy. Tried several solutions including editing some sort of video settings file but nothing worked. Then I saw that there were quite a few posts concerning video issues. You may want to try it on a desktop but in my opinion 8.04 is the way to go. So far a week and a half with 8.04 and no major issues. 8.10 – one day with several major issues!

binbash
December 2nd, 2008, 08:43 PM
For me : EVEN i have problems @ install and after installation, 8.10 is far better.You can solve problems

robsearles
December 2nd, 2008, 08:53 PM
I had Hardy running on a Sony Vaio VGN SV1M and I had no problems what so ever. Bought a Vaio VGN Z11WN put Intrepid on it and there's quite a few problems. I'm not sure if it's the distro or the laptop, or both, but I'm (if not regretting than) wishing I put Hardy on the new laptop. I think I'm going to stick to the LTS releases next time.

Still, saying that Ubuntu is fantastic (using properly for about 6 months or so) and I now never go near the horror that is Vista! :)

kernelhaxor
December 2nd, 2008, 08:59 PM
8.10 has much better hardware support due to the kernel it uses .. I would suggest 8.10

speedwell68
December 2nd, 2008, 10:11 PM
I had no problems with HArdy on my main box, but I upgraded to 8.10 anyway and have had no problems, TBH I prefer Ibex as it seems faster and I prefer the new version of GNOME. My wifes Acer One is on 8.04 Netbook Remix and is great.

Cammy
December 2nd, 2008, 10:23 PM
I have old, old hardware, so 8.04 is it for me. Like some of the others, I prefer LTS releases anyway.

billgoldberg
December 2nd, 2008, 10:45 PM
im kinda curious on ppls thoughts i currently run 8.04 on one of my computers and i have another computer id like to change to linux so should i 8.04 it or 8.10 it

I find Ubuntu 8.10 better in just about every aspect to 8.04.

But I'm sure mileage will vary.

sa-mejia
December 3rd, 2008, 05:48 PM
I tried updating to 8.10, and found that it does not work so well in my machine. If your machine is kind of oldish, like me, probably the stability of 8.04 is prefered.

S

Dragonbite
December 3rd, 2008, 06:02 PM

I'm sticking with 8.04 for the time being.

I'm using Ubuntu Server partially because of the LTS and I don't want to keep "updating and praying" with it.

My desktops have nVidia graphic cards that 8.04 detects and 8.10 does not. I wrestled briefly with it and really don't want to have to wrestle with it if I don't have to.

I have it on my laptop and that is probably the most likely one to get moved up. By the time I get done with the Server and desktops (one is currently runnign 7.10) Jaunty should be out and if it has the faster boot-up time they are trying for then I'll look at "jumping" on that one!

Mazza558
December 3rd, 2008, 06:04 PM
8.04 was a dud for me. You can see my Laptop's specs below. Ibex is much, much faster than Hardy.