Thread: LaserJet 5L prints a row of garbage on each job

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

LaserJet 5L prints a row of garbage on each job

Our LaserJet 5L was working fine with Hardy and it was also doing fine with Intrepid until some recent updates. Now the first page of every job has some garbage text on top. Is it just me or do others also have this problem? Any workarounds?

Beans

Re: LaserJet 5L prints a row of garbage on each job

What if you just delete it and reinstall it again? Would that fix the problem?
    In the world of Linux, who needs Windows and Gates...

Got most of my golden beans at an auction on eBay (with a couple of free drinks).

Beans
    Distro

It fixes the immediate problem -- thanks! -- but the real question is why an update would break a printer queue that was working fine for years. Will it happen again next time there are CUPS updates?

Beans

Hi,

I have a similar problem with a HP Laserjet 5. I have had this problem since I started using linux (suse 10.0 to 10.3 and ubuntu 7.04 to 8.10) (it works fine in windows).

With most documents I get a bunch strange characters on top. However, with some documents I get nothing but garbage (so nothing recognisable from the document I wanted to print).

I have installed the printer as a "App Socket / JetDirect" device. De uri I'm using is:
    socket://ip-address:2501
    For some reason I have to use port 2501 and not the standard port 9100 (I check with a port scanner, no port 9100 is open on my printer)
    I tried with all PPD files in ubuntu 8.10.

aperomsik, how did you install the printer? What uri/port and PPD file are you using?

Thanks,
    Marty

Beans
    Distro

I'm using the one that is specified as "Recommended" in the setup dialog... if I remember correctly it was foomatic+ljet4 .