Thread: [SOLVED] Difficulty organizing/moving/deleting music files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Smile [SOLVED] Difficulty organizing/moving/deleting music files

Hi! Still getting the hang of Ubuntu here, have only had it installed for maybe a week and a half now. I love it but need help with a few little things that I'm sure will be a piece of cake for you guys. I did search for my problem but so far nothing has matched up completely.

I moved all my music over to my Ubuntu computer. It is on my main Ubuntu drive now under my Music directory.

I have noticed two things. Forst there are image files of album covers suddenly mixed up with my music. Second when I go to delete the album covers, it won't move to trash or permanently delete. Also I can't move any of these music files around to other folders/directories. I can't seem to organize my music but I can delete other files so I don't think it is a whole hard drive permissions problem.

I can also delete files downloaded with Limewire so I don't think it is affecting all music, just the folders copied over from my old Windows machines that have album pics. (Also I never noticed these image files in Windows. I wonder why.) They were coped over our home network wirelessly if that helps.

Any idea what I can do to get permission over moving these files, and also how to get rid of the album cover images? It makes it very hard to browse my music. Thanks!

Beans

Re: Difficulty organizing/moving/deleting music files

You could restore all the permissions within the Music directory to the default permissions for created directories and files. I'm supposing that the Music folder is /home/username/Music.

Open a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and enter these commands.

Change to your home directory:
    Code:
    cd ~
    Make sure you are in the right place by checking that the Music directory appears in a listing of the current directory:
    Code:
    ls
    Change the owner and group permissions of all the subdirectories and files in Music to your username:
    Code:
    sudo chown -hR username:username Music
    Search through Music and change permissions of all subdirectories to 755:
    Code:
    find Music -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
    Do the same for normal files but change to 644:
    Code:
    find Music -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Difficulty organizing/moving/deleting music files

Ah, thank you very much.

I thought it wasn’t a permissions problem because it only affected certain files in the same directories but I see you are right now.

I found a way to change permissions with the graphic GUI file browser but I’m gonna do it your way just for practice and to get used to the Linux terminal commands. Thanks a lot!