Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to re-enable Wi-Fi on Dell

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Unable to re-enable Wi-Fi on Dell

I have fn+F2 set to disable/enable wireless only on my Dell laptop. I can disable the wireless ok, but it will not re-enable, even after a restart. The only way I could get it working again was to boot up Intrepid, then reboot back into Jaunty (both Intrepid and Jaunty share /home).
    "Knowledge is power. Who said that?" - Dave Lister

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Unable to re-enable Wi-Fi on Dell

Oh, I'm not updated with my mad-wifi-console-skillz (all my wifi cards work out of the box now), but I know it is certainly possible... possibly using the modprobe command. I'll just let some other member help you out with this one.

Beans

if your device is wlan0, try sudo ifconfig wlan0 up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by phenest View Post
    ... but it will not re-enable, even after a restart. ...
    Is that a power-off restart? Does it work if you shutdown, un-plug it, take out the battery, and then start it up again? Does it still appear in lspci?

It sounds like the driver in Jaunty's kernel is writing some 'really, really disable' value to the card, but is unable to start it up again. If you use the Intrepid kernel in Jaunty, does it successfully bring the card back up? If you use the Jaunty kernel in Intrepid, does it fail to bring the card back up? What's the first kernel version that does this, etc.
    Last edited by RAOF; December 2nd, 2008 at 03:35 AM.
    Remember: if your problem is not described on a Launchpad bug, it can only be fixed by accident!

Beans
    Distro

If I shutdown, unplug, and remove the battery then power up again, the WiFi will come back on. A normal shutdown or reboot doesn't work.

As for trying with different kernels in different Ubuntu versions, I don't feel confident about switching kernels around. All I can say is this didn't happen in Intrepid (or Hardy), but does in Jaunty kernel 2.6.27-7-generic #1 SMP Fri Oct 24 06:40:41 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux.
    "Knowledge is power. Who said that?" - Dave Lister

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Try with the 2.6.28 kernel. If that doesn't work, file a bug, following the kernel team's guidelines. In particular, dmesg and lspic before and after hitting the disable button on a kernel that works and doesn't is likely to be interesting.
    Remember: if your problem is not described on a Launchpad bug, it can only be fixed by accident!

Beans
    Distro

Sometimes just reinstalling your current kernel works.

Beans

phenest, did you file a bug report about this?

Can you look in /sys/class/net/[your wlan interface]/device/rfkill/rfkill0, and see if you have a file named "state" there. If you do, could you post the value it has *before* you disable wireless, *after* you disable wireless, and *after* you try to re-enable wireless?

I'm having a similar problem on my Asus with Jaunty's version of hal + networkmanager. Somehow the rfkill state is set to 2, which, AFAIK, means wlan is off by means of a hardware switch, and then nothing can get it back from that state. The hal guys claim it's not a hal issue, so I'm trying to figure out what it might be...

Beans

try modprobing out your kernel driver, then putting it back in.
    Are you using wl or ndiswrapper? or do you have an intel wireless card?
    "The quieter you are, the more you hear" (in boot splash for BT3)
    Dell Vostro 1500 with Core 2 Duo T5270, 2GB DDR2 667 RAM, 120GB 5400RPM HDD , nVidia GeForce 8400mGS, Debian Sid &Ubuntu Hardy & Intrepid

Beans
    Distro

I have a similar problem on my Satellite Pro Laptop. The only way I have found of re-enabling the wireless card again is to go into the System->Admin->Hardware menu and disable my Atheros driver then re-enable it again.

It connects straight away after that.

Is this the same problem?
    PC

To get a terminal command to put its output into a file use this format
    {terminal command} > {filename}

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast