Thread: [SOLVED] Pidgin crashes when I attempt to use an avatar. (2.5.2 in Intrepid)

Beans

[SOLVED] Pidgin crashes when I attempt to use an avatar. (2.5.2 in Intrepid)

I have tried disabling all plugins, and I even wiped all traces of pidgin from my system and re-installed.

I am still an ubuntu noob, so I'm sorry. I started pidgin from the terminal, and when pidgin crashed again, all it says is 'Aborted'. no error description or anything. I can select my avatar file in the file browser, but as soon as i click OK, pidgin immediately shuts down. It doesn't go grayscale and say it's not responding or anything like that. The process just gets immediately killed and it disappears.

I remember this also happening to me in Hardy. I dug around on google for a while and found nobody else with this problem. If somebody would be kind enough to help me, please let me know any other information i should provide. Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Pidgin crashes when I attempt to use an avatar. (2.5.2 in Intrepid)

Try running pidgin from a terminal to have the STDERR output in the terminal. Open a terminal and run:
    Code:
    pidgin
    Repeat the process, and when pidgin crashes, if it has an error message in the terminal, post it in your thread.
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Small View Post
    Try running pidgin from a terminal to have the STDERR output in the terminal. Open a terminal and run:
    Code:
    pidgin
    Repeat the process, and when pidgin crashes, if it has an error message in the terminal, post it in your thread.
    I stated in the original post that i already did this.

It simply says 'Aborted' and nothing else. Have a look
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Just one 24 hour bump to see if anyone else has any ideas...

Beans

For anyone who may have this same problem, it appears to be the QQ protocol. Very strange. I tried adding avatars seperately to accounts, and everything was ok until I tried to add an avatar to my QQ account. Exact same crash.

So to circumvent this, i disabled my QQ account, added my avatar (globally, didn't try independently but it might work), and re-enabled my QQ account, and it didn't crash like I was expecting it to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: [SOLVED] Pidgin crashes when I attempt to use an avatar. (2.5.2 in Intrepid)

What version of pidgin are you using? Have you tried compiling pidgin from source to circumnavigate the problem?

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] Pidgin crashes when I attempt to use an avatar. (2.5.2 in Intrepid)

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    What version of pidgin are you using? Have you tried compiling pidgin from source to circumnavigate the problem?
    Pidgin 2.5.2, I didn't think to compile from source, that's a good idea. However, I managed to find a cheap way to fix it for this install and that is good enough for me.

When the next version of Pidgin comes out, if I still get that problem from the .deb install, I will try compiling from source to see how that turns out.