Thread: Fedora 10 tips and tricks

Beans

Fedora 10 tips and tricks

I thought i'd put this together for som of you hard core ubuntu heads out there. It took me quite some time to be comfortable with fedora, but with some work i've got it setup much like i run my ubuntu.
    These tips deal with some common problems, going from ubuntu to fedora.

Disable automounting of local drives at login (gnome). This is prevented by means of HAL in ubuntu. Just put this in /etc/hal/fdi/policy/preferences.fdi
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
    <!-- 
      The following shows how to hint gnome-volume-manager and other programs 
      that honor the storage.automount_enabled_hint to not mount non-removable
      media.
    -->

<device>
        <match key="storage.hotpluggable" bool="false">
          <match key="storage.removable" bool="false">
            <merge key="storage.automount_enabled_hint" type="bool">false</merge>
          </match>
        </match>
      </device>

</deviceinfo>

SHMconfig without touching xorg.conf (synaptics touchpads). This is also done with HAL in ubuntu. Put this in /etc/hal/fdi/policy/shmconfig.fdi
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
    <deviceinfo version="0.2">
     <device>
      <match key="input.x11_driver" string="synaptics">
       <merge key="input.x11_options.SHMConfig" type="string">True</merge>
      </match>
     </device>
    </deviceinfo>
    You've got options to turn touchpad on/off by installing gsynaptics
    Code:
    yum install gsynaptics
    3. apt-get/aptitude is as good as it gets, no doubt about that. yum is, however, a very nice package manager as well. Lets add some speed, and auto-removal of "leaves" (i.e. unused dependencies that got pulled when you installed a piece of software)
    Code:
    yum install yum-fastestmirror yum-remove-with-leaves
    These two are plugins, meaning you can temporarily disable them, and they work by default without you doin anything.

4. tab auto-complete commands in the terminal. very easy.
    Code:
    yum install bash-completion
    restart (terminal).

fedoras eqvivalent to medibuntu is rpmfusion, allthough it contains more than just media extras. It adds quite a bit of other software as well. Antman already covered that here
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=989530

6. For exmaple, to install nvidia driver (rpmfusion!)
    Code:
    yum install akmod-nvidia
    Then run the livna display configuration in system>administration meny. Then reboot.

7. To play basic media files (.mp3/.xvid etc) (rpmfusion not needed, but recommended!)
    Code:
    yum install gstreamer-plugins-ugly gstreamer-ffmpeg
    8. dvd playback
    Code:
    yum install libdvdread libdvdnav
    and get libdvdcss here http://atrpms.net/dist/f10/libdvdcss/
    you need both libdvdcss and libdvdcss2

9. A few common extras
    flash http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
    skype (the fedora 7 one) http://www.skype.com/intl/sv/downloa.../linux/choose/

10. If you want a "human" theme, install this
    http://www.gnome-look.org/content/sh...?content=75417
    Should you miss the human-icon-theme, download it here
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/...theme/download
    extract the .deb (it's an archive), then extract the "data" dir.
    It's in usr/share/icons, so just right click and create a tar.gz of the "Human" dir, and you've got your human icon theme, ready to drop in System>prefernces>look and feeel>appearance.
    I'm more of a tango guy, so i recommend
    Code:
    yum install tango-icon-theme tango-icon-theme-extras
    of course

11. EDIT: Almost forgot! Sudo
    Code:
    su
    cp /etc/sudoers /etc/sudoers.backup
    echo "%wheel        ALL=(ALL)       ALL" >> /etc/sudoers
    usermod -aG wheel USERNAME
    Obvisouly, replace USERNAME with the user that should join the wheel group, and thereby gain sudo rights for ALL commands. I'm not recommending this (you should always be careful with these things), but this is how it is done in ubuntu.

Good luck!
    Last edited by pelle.k; November 29th, 2008 at 08:36 PM.
    - "though It seems that I know that I know, what I would like to see Is the I that sees me, when I know that I know that I know" / Alan Watts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Fedora 10 tips and tricks

Thanks for that info. I'm a noob to Fedora 10 and was having trouble with a few things.

Do you know the gpg key for the libdvdcss rpms? Can't install without the key, either from root or clicking the .rpms.

Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SamSlater View Post
    Thanks for that info. I'm a noob to Fedora 10 and was having trouble with a few things.

Do you know the gpg key for the libdvdcss rpms? Can't install without the key, either from root or clicking the .rpms.

Thanks.
    'yum localinstall --nogpgcheck package.rpm'

or

'rpm -ivh package.rpm'

The first method is preferable.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pelle.k View Post
    11. EDIT: Almost forgot! Sudo
    Code:
    su
    cp /etc/sudoers /etc/sudoers.backup
    echo "%wheel        ALL=(ALL)       ALL" >> /etc/sudoers
    usermod -aG wheel USERNAME
    The sudoers file should always be edited using the command "visudo". I'm not even sure that it will work if you edit it any other way. If you don't like vi, use "env EDITOR=nano visudo". Replace nano with whatever you want.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zman0900 View Post
    The sudoers file should always be edited using the command "visudo". I'm not even sure that it will work if you edit it any other way. If you don't like vi, use "env EDITOR=nano visudo". Replace nano with whatever you want.
    From my experience it does work. But I also do recommend visudo as it is the safest way to edit the file.

Beans

From my experience it does work. But I also do recommend visudo as it is the safest way to edit the file.
    Yes, and yes.
    I did make sure the layout of the default /etc/sudoers would allow this "hack" before i put it the "guide". But you are correct, you should normally use the visudo mechanism to edit /etc/sudoers because it's got syntax and error checking.
    Unlike ubuntu, you are not locked out if you make a mistake though, since the root account isn't locked by default.
    - "though It seems that I know that I know, what I would like to see Is the I that sees me, when I know that I know that I know" / Alan Watts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by pelle.k View Post
    3. apt-get/aptitude is as good as it gets, no doubt about that. yum is, however, a very nice package manager as well. Lets add some speed, and auto-removal of "leaves" (i.e. unused dependencies that got pulled when you installed a piece of software)
    Code:
    yum install yum-fastestmirror yum-remove-with-leaves
    In my experience yum doesn't need the fastestmirror plugin anymore because when i used it, it actually took more time then without it, so milage may vary with that one.