Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the main differences between Fedora and Ubuntu? [Please keep it civil!]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

What are the main differences between Fedora and Ubuntu? [Please keep it civil!]

Don't mean to start a flame war or anything.

Recently I've read about the launch of Fedora 10 on Digg and I though to myself that I should give it a try.

So last night I downloaded both Ubuntu and Fedora 10 as ISO files and currently I'm installing Ubuntu on my VMachine. I'll do the same with Fedora after.

I'm really curious right now though!

Would you guys mind telling me what makes Fedora different from Ubuntu? Aesthetics OR Functionality-wise.

Thanks for your time.
    The problem 99.999% of the times lies between the chair and the computer.

Beans

Re: What are the main differences between Fedora and Ubuntu? [Please keep it civil!]

basically, the main difference is the package systems they use. Fedora is based on RedHat and uses rpm files to install programs. Ubuntu is based on Debian and uses deb files. As far the underlying system, both basically the same. As far as what you see, basically the same. Main difference that I know of is how they install programs and the way they are installed initially.
    Debian Testing(64bit) + XFCE4 AM2 5200+ ATI Radeon HD4350, 4gig RAM,320Gig and 750gig HDs

what's the difference between an answer and a solution? An answer is what they want to hear, a solution is what they don't want to hear

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: What are the main differences between Fedora and Ubuntu? [Please keep it civil!]

Fedora tends to be more cutting edge with its software.
    Not a technical difference, but a philosophical one.
    2010 IBM Thinkpad 510, 4GB RAM, i5-540M, NVS 3100M

Running Ubuntu 11.04

Beans

Fedora is blue colored and Ubuntu is poop colored.....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The package management system is obviously different.

There are obviously several more minor differences, but that list could go on for a while.
    Want a quality CD ripping program for Ubuntu? Check out my how-to: Installing Rubyripper on Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by ghindo View Post
    The package management system is obviously different.
    How so? Care to elaborate a bit for a newbie [to rpm files]?
    The problem 99.999% of the times lies between the chair and the computer.

Beans

accoring to somebody, package management have always been the same , in that most of them manage dependencies. they are jsut different on how they are made.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

When you open a thread at ubuntuforums, you will get what you want or at least 10 replies in a day.When you open it at fedora community it may take weeks.You REALLY miss that

Also, fedora's artwork is cool and kde team rocks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by binbash View Post
    When you open a thread at ubuntuforums, you will get what you want or at least 10 replies in a day.When you open it at fedora community it may take weeks.You REALLY miss that
    Yes, because community is the distro... /sarcasm

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by papuccino1 View Post
    Don't mean to start a flame war or anything.

Recently I've read about the launch of Fedora 10 on Digg and I though to myself that I should give it a try.

So last night I downloaded both Ubuntu and Fedora 10 as ISO files and currently I'm installing Ubuntu on my VMachine. I'll do the same with Fedora after.

I'm really curious right now though!

Would you guys mind telling me what makes Fedora different from Ubuntu? Aesthetics OR Functionality-wise.

Thanks for your time.
    You will find everything in Ubuntu is actually super-simplified/dumbed-down compared to other linux distros.

Part of the reason it's so popular actually.
    Don't eat yellow snow

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast