Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: dualbooting XP/ubuntu on 2 HDDs (problem: XP doesn't boot)

Beans

Re: dualbooting XP/ubuntu on 2 HDDs (problem: XP doesn't boot)

Quote Originally Posted by caljohnsmith View Post
    Both (hd1) and (hd2) should show only one partition, but let me know which drive shows the partition as being "type 0x7"; most likely it will be (hd1), but I just want to make sure.
    this is a copy of the text returned for hd0 (Linux drive) and hd1 XP.
    hd0
    "drive 0x81: C/H/S = 1024/255/63, the number of sectors = 320173056, LBA partition num = 0 filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83,
    partition num = 4 filesystem type is unknown, partition type 0x82"

hd1
    "drive 0x81: C/H/S = 1024/255/63, the number of sectors = 66055248, LBA partition num:0 filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7"

I really appreciate your help here. My wife is the one that wants to boot into XP, I would prefer to just use Linux and learn a bit more each day.

Beans

OK, so Windows is indeed on (hd1), so your Grub menu entry for Windows should be OK. While the Ubuntu drive is still connected, how about going into your BIOS and change the boot order so that you boot the Windows drive first, and make sure the Windows drive still boots that way. Or if your BIOS has one of those quick boot menus on start up that you can get by pressing F10/F12 or a key like that, you can choose which drive to boot from. Please let me know the results.
    Last edited by caljohnsmith; December 20th, 2008 at 06:51 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by caljohnsmith View Post
    Please let me know the results.
    Well, after many hours of what I would call messing around I have come to the conclusion that this second hard drive is totally knackered. Yes, it had been booting fine, but just won't have it any more. My big problem is that I have rebooted my main disk so many times that it too has now fallen over and can't seem to start it. Writing this from my childrens computer. Ah well, another good excuse to go out and find a new French Tutor, one with a couple of large hard drives.
    Must admit that I have quite enjoyed using XP again after a couple of years on Linux. Everything just seems to work as designed and there is'nt much thinking needed to do what I acually want to do and that is work on my photos and listen to music. Saying that, I have noticed a massive difference in speed, with the bloated XP being dreadfully slow. Looks like it won't be just my wife who will be using the XP on a dual boot machine. Sorry that I seem to have gone off thread here. Thanks again caljohnsmith, for your time, you don't get much of that from M$ users.

Beans

I was beginning to have my suspicions that something was going on with your Windows drive, so from what you say, it sounds like that was unfortunately true. Anyway, cheers and good luck with it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345