Thread: [SOLVED] 8.04 Strange resolution with KVM switch

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

[SOLVED] 8.04 Strange resolution with KVM switch

Hi,

I recently bought a Aten Petite USB 2port KVM switch. I use it to switch between my standard machine running WinXp and my laptop running Kubuntu. Switching between them, sound, keyboard and mouse all work perfectly, the screen resolution however is a bit strange when I switch to the Kubuntu desktop.

The monitor is a 24" BenQ Widescreen LCD monitor, the laptop is set up with 1280x800 screen resolution, but when the desktop is shown on my BenQ monitor a bit of the top, left and right sides of the picture is chopped off, resulting in something looking like a 4:3 picture instead of widescreen. I attached a picture to illustrate.

Anyone know what may cause this? All help appriciated!

Edit: I just plugged my laptop to an old monitor, the problem still occurs, so its the VGA-out port on my laptop which is the main problem, is there any way to tweak this in Kubuntu?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sprut1; December 1st, 2008 at 04:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: 8.04 Strange resolution with KVM switch

Problem solved;

It seems that my kubuntu + 2 monitors don't really go together. So basically all I had to do was enter bios and select the external monitor as my only monitor, meaning that laptop screen is totally black, but now the screen resolution on external monitor is working perfect.

So if anyone else have the same kind of problem try doing like I did and see if it works.

Case closed
    Desktop: Windows 7 / Ubuntu 10.04
    Laptop-: Vista
    Netbook: Ubuntu 10.04