Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Skype green video

Beans

[SOLVED] Skype green video

Hi,

My skype video used to work before. Before Ibex and even after installing Ibex. But now, it's just a green video (from my webcam). In cheese, everything works fine.

This is the model of webcam:
    ID 0ac8:303b Z-Star Microelectronics Corp. ZC0303 WebCam

There appears to be a workaround. The command is:
    Code:
    LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
    But I get the following error:
    Code:
    ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thumbs down Re: Skype green video

i have a completely different webcam model (logitech) but i also get a green and interference-like-looking picture when using it through skype while with cheese everything works fine.

after trying around a little i found this thread on skype-forums quite helpful; its about using a user-space webcam driver calles 'gstfakevideo'.
    this may be a solution rather for the little more experienced user and not really beginners, so be careful and use on your own risk!

it works like a charm in my case although with this, everything a bit more complicated than just starting skype. but if you know how to write simple shell-scripts, it shouldn't be a big hazzle...

oh, note that the green-image was in my case there from the beginning!

regards, anti

Beans

Re: Skype green video

Hi, my webcam (creative PD1110, 041e:401c Creative Technology, Ltd WebCam NX [PD1110]) also works fine in cheese (and xawtv), but shows a green staticky screen in skype. looks like your v4l1 library wasn't in lib32:

Quote Originally Posted by lian1238 View Post

The command is:
    Code:
    LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
    But I get the following error:
    Code:
    ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
    mine wasn't either. Try
    Code:
    LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
    That found the library, but didn't fix the green screen problem - I'm still working on that. Good luck.

Beans

I found this.

Worked for me, but I had to *remove* the LD_LIBRARY_PATH thing mentioned above (which I had been trying) - else it still didn't work.

HTH.
    Last edited by davidmaxwaterman; December 7th, 2008 at 11:28 AM. Reason: more explanation...

Beans

davidmaxwaterman, thanks for the link. Glad it worked for you. But in my config.xml file, I don't have a Video section. Did you add it or was it there. Could you tell me its relative position? (Above/below what)

I tried putting it below SoundDevice, then I restarted skype. The testing showed only green. When I was in a call, skype crashed after a few seconds, and video was still green.

Edit: I turned compiz off already.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lian1238 View Post
    davidmaxwaterman, thanks for the link. Glad it worked for you. But in my config.xml file, I don't have a Video section. Did you add it or was it there.
    It was already there.

Could you tell me its relative position? (Above/below what)
    I don't have the computer I was using to hand right now, but on this computer it's right under a StatsSender block. It is two indendation levels in, and <Lib> (should be near the top) is it's parent.

I tried putting it below SoundDevice, then I restarted skype. The testing showed only green. When I was in a call, skype crashed after a few seconds, and video was still green.

Edit: I turned compiz off already.
    Well, the only other thing I did was to edit the script that runs skype. I'm not sure if this is a script I wrote myself, but for me :
    Code:
    $ file `which skype`
    /usr/bin/skype: POSIX shell script text executable
    $ sudo gvim !$
    sudo gvim `which skype`
    $ cat !$
    cat `which skype`
    #!/bin/sh

#LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/skype.real "$@"
    /usr/bin/skype.real "$@"
    IE, I basically removed the bit that sets LD_PRELOAD.

However, on this machine, it basically makes no difference. I'm not sure if it made a difference on my other computer or not (I think it did) - actually, I'm not sure if it was removing the LD_PRELOAD, or the config.xml thing; perhaps both.

Sorry I can't be more help.

BTW, I am using the Logitech Quickcam for Notebooks Pro, as is the guy who wrote the page above, I think.

Beans

you get this error most likely because you are using 32bit skype in 64bit ubuntu, in that case you just need to use the following path to the library:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so

Beans

hi everybody!

i have the same problem with green stripes in skype in my kubuntu...

but the link you provided does not function now as i see... actually it writes: "Rethinking Content
    Reorganising personal website content" and nothing can be found...

please help, what can i do with skype video?

thank you in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

+1...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by genseek View Post
    you get this error most likely because you are using 32bit skype in 64bit ubuntu, in that case you just need to use the following path to the library:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so
    I"m not using 64bit ubuntu...

Max.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast