Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Interpid Sound Solutions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Interpid Sound Solutions

Many thanks! I installed USB speakers and webcam w/mic and was having fits after every reboot. All is well now thanks to your most excellent post.

SATX

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Excellent how-to ! Thanks

Small suggestion to make it even easier: maybe provide one single copy-paste command to get all packages in one go?

Code:
    sudo apt-get install asoundconf-gtk gnome-alsamixer alsa-oss libasound2 libasound2-plugins padevchooser gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio ubuntu-restricted-extras

Beans

plz people HELP!!! im going nuts here. i have tried everything im not sure even if im doing it right.. i just installed ubuntu on my hp touchsmart... tried everything nothing worked for me !! i reached till the end in your tutorial but unfortunately but it did not work!!

plzzzzzzzzzzz help !!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by RavanH View Post
    Excellent how-to ! Thanks

Small suggestion to make it even easier: maybe provide one single copy-paste command to get all packages in one go?

Code:
    sudo apt-get install asoundconf-gtk gnome-alsamixer alsa-oss libasound2 libasound2-plugins padevchooser gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio ubuntu-restricted-extras
    Well, that might make things a little faster and easier for experienced users but may be a little daunting to new users. That is why I recommend using Synaptic and doing one step at a time and explaining what each package is for.

It is my opinion that more is learned by taking one step at a time and explaining things. People get a deeper understanding and need less help.

Beans

Hi, markbuntu, I don't suppose you know anything about Totem do you?

I just did a clean install of 8.10 and I get no sound from Totem, though VLC, Mplayer and SMPlayer are all fine.

Totem has plugins, like the one for the BBC, and firefox uses Totem to stream video, so I'd like to fix it.

I did copy some .dirs from the Hardy home directory to Intrepid, but the only Totem .dir I can find is .gstreamer-0.10 and that one isn't the problem, so I'm wondering if it is a codec thing.

Any ideas ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

You probably just need the rest of the gstreamer packages and need to set up gstreamer in System/Preferences/Multimedia Systems Selector which is the gstreamer settings app.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Interpid Sound Solutions

I have these gstreamer packages:-
    gstreamer0.10 -alsa
    gstreamer0.10 -ffmpeg
    gstreamer0.10 -gnomevfs
    gstreamer0.10 -plugins-bad
    gstreamer0.10 -plugins-bad-multiverse
    gstreamer0.10 -plugins-base
    gstreamer0.10 -plugins-base-apps
    gstreamer0.10 -plugins-good
    gstreamer0.10 -plugins-ugly
    gstreamer0.10 -pulseaudio
    gstreamer0.10 -schroedinger
    gstreamer0.10 -tools
    gstreamer0.10 -x
    gstreamer0.10 -0
    libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0
    libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev
    I have tried some other settings for System/Preferences/Multimedia Systems Selector but it is still silent. Currently it is on Autodetect but I have tried Pulseaudio and ALSA (Similar to the way it was set up for Hardy) but to no avail. All other sounds are working.

The volume icon on Totem is greyed out and unselectable.

I don't know if it is related, but when I open Gnome Alsamixer I get this error:-
    Bad key or directory name: "/apps/gnome-alsamixer/display_mixers/": Key/directory may not end with a slash '/'
    Bad key or directory name: "/apps/gnome-alsamixer/display_names/": Key/directory may not end with a slash '/'
    There don't seem to be any directories of that name so maybe it is safe to ignore it ?

There are so many sound related functions, I'm not sure where to look:
    Multimedia Systems Selector
    Sound
    Pulseaudio Device Chooser
    Pulseaudio Manager
    Pulseaudio Volume Control
    Volume Control

Forgive my ignorance, it probably seems easy when you know how.

Beans

thank you! that was all I need for ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by yaz360 View Post
    plz people HELP!!! im going nuts here. i have tried everything im not sure even if im doing it right.. i just installed ubuntu on my hp touchsmart... tried everything nothing worked for me !! i reached till the end in your tutorial but unfortunately but it did not work!!

plzzzzzzzzzzz help !!!
    At the end of the OP there is a link to a very comprehensive troubleshooting guide. You should maybe try that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by stoneage View Post
    I have these gstreamer packages:-

I have tried some other settings for System/Preferences/Multimedia Systems Selector but it is still silent. Currently it is on Autodetect but I have tried Pulseaudio and ALSA (Similar to the way it was set up for Hardy) but to no avail. All other sounds are working.

The volume icon on Totem is greyed out and unselectable.

I don't know if it is related, but when I open Gnome Alsamixer I get this error:-
    There don't seem to be any directories of that name so maybe it is safe to ignore it ?

There are so many sound related functions, I'm not sure where to look:
    Multimedia Systems Selector
    Sound
    Pulseaudio Device Chooser
    Pulseaudio Manager
    Pulseaudio Volume Control
    Volume Control

Forgive my ignorance, it probably seems easy when you know how.
    You should get rid of those ~/.dirs from Hardy.

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast