Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well, since I'm starting a system from scratch, I need help on apps..

Beans

Re: Well, since I'm starting a system from scratch, I need help on apps..

WM: openbox/xmonad
    Shell: zsh
    Editor: vim
    Music: mpd+ncmpc/sonata
    Video: mplayer
    Compression: tar,unrar,unzip
    FileManager: shell
    Terminal: urxvt
    Browser: firefox/midori
    Image: mirage,gimp
    Chat: weechat,bitlbee/pidgin

others: evince,gftp,iptables,yaourt (to install from AUR),xcompmgr

Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Exershio View Post
    I would, but the idea of moving to CLI apps kind of puts me off. I'm used to having a GUI for my common applications (except performing some tasks, such as copying/moving files, and of course installing and removing programs, etc).
    cplay would be better than cmus, then, for you. it's simple. you type cplay, it show you a list of your /home directories, you navigate to your music directory, find the song you want and hit 'enter'. pretty simple and at so less a resource cost. i use a mix of gui apps, tui apps and cli apps. there are some things i can't figure out how to do with cli apps, so i still use gui apps for those activities. if you appreciate a minimal approach, you might find yourself not so put off by terminal apps.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chucky chuckaluck View Post
    cplay would be better than cmus, then, for you. it's simple. you type cplay, it show you a list of your /home directories, you navigate to your music directory, find the song you want and hit 'enter'. pretty simple and at so less a resource cost. i use a mix of gui apps, tui apps and cli apps. there are some things i can't figure out how to do with cli apps, so i still use gui apps for those activities. if you appreciate a minimal approach, you might find yourself not so put off by terminal apps.
    I gave MPD + Sonata a try and so far I'm loving it. The feature to be able to kill X and still have music playing... priceless

Anyways, I have everything I need so far. The only bloat I have is firefox. I gave midori a try, but it crashes too much and there's no adblock yet. It looks promising though.

Using openbox, thunar, mpd + sonata, pidgin, abiword (wtf's with the tons of dependancies?), gedit, xterm, xarchiver. I'll probably need something else soon, but until then, my desktop is sexy. (I'll post a screenshot later... I don't have a screenshot tool yet )

Thanks a ton for all the help everyone.

Beans

I gave MPD + Sonata a try and so far I'm loving it. The feature to be able to kill X and still have music playing... priceless
    if you're feeling adventurous, you might want to checkout ncmpc (terminal frontend for mpd). that way, when you've killed x, you can still pick out your next playlist.

Anyways, I have everything I need so far. The only bloat I have is firefox. I gave midori a try, but it crashes too much and there's no adblock yet. It looks promising though.
    midori can pass the acid3 test, so, if you spend a lot of time at the acid3 website, it might just be the right browser for you.

Beans

Using openbox, thunar, mpd + sonata, pidgin, abiword (wtf's with the tons of dependancies?), gedit, xterm, xarchiver. I'll probably need something else soon, but until then, my desktop is sexy. (I'll post a screenshot later... I don't have a screenshot tool yet ) ......
    get scrot for taking screenshots

Beans

Well here's my desktop so far. Openbox + PyPanel = sexy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12