Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PPC Ubuntu Studio possible?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

PPC Ubuntu Studio possible?

Is it possible to upgrade a vanilla Hard Heron PPC install to Ubuntu Studio?
    Peppermint OS Four - Dell Vostro 3350, Peppermint OS Three - Acer Aspire One 725 & Asus Eee PC 1015BX, Ubuntu 12.04 - home built AMD desktop,
    Military justice is to justice what military music is to music. - Groucho Marx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: PPC Ubuntu Studio possible?

No, there is no Ubuntu Studio for PPC, neither for PPC64
    PowerMac G5 Debian Squeeze - MacOSX Leopard / Lenovo 3000 N200 Debian Wheezy
    PowerPCFAQ, PowerPCKnownIssues, Booting the Installer on PowerPC, Yaboot - How to configure the PPC Bootloader

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I am not sure just what Ubuntu studio should have but my package manager has a ubuntu desktop and several other things to download. They all look installable. It usually says if I can't install on my machine.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mkvnmtr View Post
    I am not sure just what Ubuntu studio should have but my package manager has a ubuntu desktop and several other things to download. They all look installable. It usually says if I can't install on my machine.
    I believe there are special repositories that need to be added for Ubuntu Studio, but I may be wrong.
    Peppermint OS Four - Dell Vostro 3350, Peppermint OS Three - Acer Aspire One 725 & Asus Eee PC 1015BX, Ubuntu 12.04 - home built AMD desktop,

Beans
    Distro

How many of the following packages are available for the PPC platform? Does anyone know?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/PackageList

I am particularly thinking of the ubuntustudio-audio, ubuntustudio-plugins and ubuntustudio-graphics package groups.

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have no knowledge of Ubuntu studio but when I saw this thread I looked in my package manager and ran a search for ubuntu studio and found several listings. I am on ppc G4 Ibook, have medibuntu enabled and ask to view all aviable software.

Beans
    Distro

I tried to install, but got the following errors:

ubuntustudio-audio:
    Depends: mixxx but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: mscore but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: qjackctl but it is not going to be installed

mixxx:
    Depends: libqt4-core but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: libqt4-gui but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: libqt4-qt3support but it is not going to be installed

mscore:

qjackctl:

Any idea what went wrong?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

No idea what went wrong. Do you have medibuntu and back ports enabled? I really don't want to try installing because I have no idea what it is. The poster that said it is not for ppc has a lot more experience than me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Unhappy Re: PPC Ubuntu Studio possible?

I installed Ubuntu 8.10 on my mini (G4). Tried to install studio right from synaptic which I have done successfully on x86 platforms many times.
    I think the problem is that most of the studio apps (esp. those that depend on jack) requires linux-rt. I don't think it's available for ppc architecture.
    That is why I blew off the idea of ppc linux for my needs. Sorry to not have a more positive answer for you.

Beans

I see this is an old thread but i wanted to share my experience with fellow PPC users. I am currently running Ubuntu 10.10 on my old school iBook G4 1.2ghz - 1.2ghz ram and as far as my computer goes i was able to download, instal and run the Ubuntu Audio Studio and Plug-Ins. Most of the software (the important stuff, Jack, Ardour, Hydrogen, all the soft synths, sooper looper) works fully and in real time. However, I did notice that my little iBook started to lag with 4 or more synth so im gonna experriment with MintPPC
    P.S. My Aiport Extreme setup was also a breeze in Ubuntu and since MintPPC is based on Debian it should do the trick.
    Last edited by ghettonerd; January 4th, 2011 at 03:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast