Page 33 of 65 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Rotate the Screen for a TX2000 Tablet PC

Beans

Re: How to Rotate the Screen for a TX2000 Tablet PC

sunddenly I feel so stupid! thanks it works! But there's another thing now the cursor refuses to get the wright orientation!?? it's like the stylus or the touch aren't calibrated well... what can I do? and another thing is there a way to get a dock to work without compiz? like AWN maybe? or something else?
    Last edited by manu7irl; October 19th, 2009 at 07:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi manu7irl,

What you can do with Compiz is in Advanced Setup enter in the following command boxes.

Run before switch to tablet: metacity --replace

Exec. after switch to normal: compiz --replace

It would depend on the dock and whether it allows things like fake compositing etc.

I'm more worried about the stylus and touch cursor not tracking now. Do you know what happened? In a terminal does:
    Code:
    xsetwacom list
    return stylus, eraser, and touch?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Thanks for the Magick Rotation Script. It works great on my 2710p.

Is there a license? I couldn't find one.

My computer also has an accelerometer. Do other HP tablets also have those? It would be cool to have an option so while in tablet mode the screen would rotate with the physical device.

This guy has a .py script that rotates only the screen (not the stylus, eraser etc as far as I can tell) based on accelerometer input. There's no license for his script either, but I asked about it in the comments.
    http://pieleric.blogspot.com/2008/11...n-its-way.html

cheers,
    Jeremy
    Last edited by jmcnaught; October 20th, 2009 at 08:19 AM. Reason: clarify which script i'm talking about

Beans
    Distro

Hi jmcnaught,

I'm glad the Magick Rotation applet (python gtk script) is working for you and that your 2710p is set up now.

Thanks for the link to the accelerometer daemon. It looks like he planned to hook up flipping the stylus and what not but hasn't gotten around to it. Let's see if he has an updated version. We also have a daemon version of Magick Rotation.

Do you know if all 2700's (2710p and 2730p and ?) have accelerometers? With Magick you choose the rotation orientation you want when you go to tablet mode. With the accelerometer the orientation would change depending on how you are holding it. So really it would almost be two seperate applets in conception.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Hi Favux,

I was thinking maybe accelerometer based rotation could be an optional mode for when the computer is in tablet mode.

I was considering trying to add that feature into Magick, but because there's no license for your code I wouldn't be able to share it. So I might not. Is Magick meant to be GPL, or not really? It's fine either way, I'd just like to know.

As for the 2730p, it probably has an accelerometer too but I don't know for sure because I couldn't afford that one . The accelerometer is there in mine for the "HP 3D Driveguard" feature that can stop the hard drive if it detects the computer is falling. So any HP that has that feature probably has an accelerometer. I found mine by grep'ing through the output of lshal.

Beans
    Distro

Hi jmcnaught,

None of the TX's has an accelerometer.

I'd have to check with Red_Lion to be absolutely sure. He "gave" me the code but is still around occasionally. I'm hoping to hear more from him shortly. I think you can treat it as an implied GPL. More formally say something like:
    This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public license as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
    I feel certain he'd go for that as long as you share any code you come up with back with us.

I know I'm interested in seeing what you're thinking about. Maybe incorporate it in Magick?

Beans

tnx for the automagic_rotation script, works wondefully!!!

is there a way to rotate the touchpad orientation so i can keep the laptop open as a book with a vertical orientation and successfully use the touchpad?

tnx

ps. attacched is the script i use to rotate the screen in subsequent positions (a one time "echo normal > .screen-orientation" command is necessary)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

Hi marranzano,

Good, I'm glad!

I don't think so. I think you'd have to rotate the pad itself. I don't think something like:
    Code:
    <merge key="input.x11_options.Rotate" type="string">HALF</merge>
    in the 11-x11-synaptics.fdi would work. You could look at the .fdi, it's in "/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Well, I upgraded to Karmic successfully...almost!

I did a clean install, and have followed the instructions for getting wacom driver installed. Stylus, touch, all works good.

However, I'm having some troubles with rotation. I downloaded the automagick rotation file and installed it. I think it would work properly if the ATI driver would cooperate. When I rotate the screen to portrait mode, I get a bunch of hash.

I tried running:

Code:
    sudo aticonfig --set-pcs-str="DDX,EnableRandr12,TRUE"
    But the response is:

Code:
    docaltmed@laptop:~$ sudo aticonfig --set-pcs-str="DDX,EnableRandr12,TRUE"
    No layout section was found in the file: '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'.
    Please run 'aticonfig --initial' first or modify your configurationfile manually and run aticonfig again.
    aticonfig: parsing the command-line failed.
    docaltmed@laptop:~$ sudo aticonfig --initial
    Found fglrx primary device section
     Unable to find any supported Screen sections
    My xorg.conf looks like:
    Code:
    Section "Screen"
    	Identifier	"Default Screen"
    	DefaultDepth	24
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    	Load	"glx"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    	Identifier	"Default Device"
    	Driver	"fglrx"
    EndSection
    Which makes sense, I guess, as using xorg.conf is being supplanted by something else these days, insofar as I understand it.

I'm a bit reluctant to mess about with xorg.conf without having a clue (having been down that path before!). Any suggestions?

EDIT: I'm using the latest version of Catalyst, installed from the ATI website.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Never mind!_ I turned off fglrx and rotation is working fine. I'll just use cairo-dock for eye candy. Compiz was kind of a pain in the neck anyway.

Page 33 of 65 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast