Page 11 of 65 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Rotate the Screen for a TX2000 Tablet PC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to Rotate the Screen for a TX2000 Tablet PC

Hi Trevski13,

That sounds worthwhile. I've never had that problem before, but then I almost never turn off the touchpad. I haven't seen a solution posted that I can remember.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    a TX2500 Tablet PC, and other Tablet PC's

This doesn't apply to you with ATI proprietary "fglrx" through Catalyst. After configuring your card as usual you may need to type the following command into a terminal:
    Code:
    aticonfig --set-pcs-str="DDX,EnableRandr12,TRUE"
    I'm not sure if you need to use sudo.
    This applies to Catalyst drivers 8.9 and later and is from: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Fea...creen_Rotation
    *Thank you farmercyst and Vincent_Lin and adamsu for pointing this out.

* Thank you to martinjochimsen and manu7irl for helping to validating methods 1 & 2 for the TX2500.
    Thanks for that. A couple notes -- it does need to be run as root, so you can modify it to have sudo.

The fglrx drivers in Jaunty's repos are new enough that this will work, you dont need to compile them yourself. In fact, I think that jaunty's fglrx (8.600) is newer than the drivers on ati's page, they include the unrealeased Catalyst 9.4.

Beans
    Distro

Hi cak3,

Thank you for the information. I'll modify the HOW TO.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

So... progress has been made on the tablet swivel front. Been talking to Matthew Garrett (HP-WMI author) and apparently the tablet swivel was sharing the signal with the docking function. Thanks to him, there is now a seperate signal for the tablet swivel switch. I'm still trying to get it to work through hal (which is a beast of a thing to try to learn).

I'll should be able to post up a patch for hp-wmi.c soon. I'll put up a makefile so all you will compile is the module itself. One thing though. You'll need 2.6.30-rc kernel source to do this. I got mine from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/ and was able to apply the patch.
    The makefile I'll post up later should build against 2.6.28 headers. I'll also post up the fdi that I'm playing with.

Later all.

Beans
    Distro

Hi MisteR2,

Great! Outstanding work. Glad you got in touch with Matthew. So Jaunty will have automagic rotation!

Will this get are two non-functioning bezel buttons working also? And would the modified module work for other HP tablets, like the TC4200?
    Last edited by Favux; May 1st, 2009 at 12:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I haven't gotten any response from the bezel buttons yet. As to whether it will work for the TCs, I'm not sure. ill this get are two non-functioning bezel buttons working also? And would the modified module work for other HP tablets, like the TC4200? Not sure. Worth a shot though.

Alrighty then. Here we go.

**REMEMBER!!** Apply the attached patch to 2.6.30-rc sourced hp-wmi. I used 2.6.30-rc2.

The makefile here uses the headers for your current kernel. This is something intended to be used in a separate directory ie, /home/whoever/blah. Just take it and stick it into a text file in the same directory as your hp-wmi.c and call it Makefile.

Code:
    obj-m := hp-wmi.o
     all:
    	make -C /lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/build M=$(PWD) modules
    Now the fun part. The FDI file. I have killed way to much time trying to track this information down. And I'm not even sure if it works yet.

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
      <device>
        <match key="info.udi" contains="/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer_logicaldev_input_3">
    	<append key="input.switch" type="strlist">0x05:TABLET_MODE</append>
        </match>
      </device>
    </deviceinfo>
    Make sure you have input-utils, so you can see if your hal device may be something different.

Using input-event(s?) shows that the tablet swivel is a switch. Although in some fdi files, I've seen switches, such as the regular tablet lid switch referred to as a button.

That should be about everything. If I've forgotten anything, I'll be back.

Later.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

Hi MisteR2.

In Device Manager I do have an "unknown button". Unfortunately Device Manager won't let me copy out some key lines. But basically it refers to keyboard, input.keys, and button. And the sysfs_path refers to PNP0A08:00. But it does not contain input.switch.

So even if I apply the patch to 2.6.30-rc sourced hp-wmi I can build against the 2.6.28 headers and use the resulting patched HP-WMI module in Jaunty?

What are the chances of doing the same against 2.6.27 headers in Intrepid and using it in Intrepid? Slim to none? And of course the same question in Hardy, which I think was 2.6.24.

Thank you very much for the .fdi. I know getting that together wasn't trivial. And if you get a chance thank Matthew for us.

Beans
    Distro

Hi everyone,

fr34k4d3113 has a Asus R1E tablet pc. He modified the method 1 script and put it into gnomes 'startup applications' to automatically change the wacom-rotation when he rotates the display. I thought I would share it:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh 

while [ 1 ]
     do
      sleep 2
      rotation="$(xrandr -q --verbose | grep 'connected' | egrep -o  '\) (normal|left|inverted|right) \(' | egrep -o '(normal|left|inverted|right)')" 

case "$rotation" in 
        normal) 
    ### rotate to the normal ###
        if [ `cat /home/user/.rotate/rotatestatus` = "right" ]; then
          compiz &
          xsetwacom set stylus rotate NONE 
          xsetwacom set eraser rotate NONE
          echo "normal" > /home/user/.rotate/rotatestatus
        fi
        ;; 
        right) 
    ### rotate to right ###
        if [ `cat /home/user/.rotate/rotatestatus` = "normal" ]; then
          xsetwacom set stylus rotate CW 
          xsetwacom set eraser rotate CW
          echo "right" > /home/user/.rotate/rotatestatus
        fi
        ;; 
      esac
     done
    It turns out he is one of the lucky few. His Asus tablet works with the "rotatescreen.sh" in "/etc/acpi". So he then went on to rewrite "rotatescreen.sh" to also rotate his wacom devices:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

user="yourusername"

test -f /usr/share/acpi-support/key-constants || exit 0

. /usr/share/acpi-support/power-funcs

if [ -f /var/lib/acpi-support/screen-rotation ] ; then
      ROTATION=`cat /var/lib/acpi-support/scredrittelen-rotation`
    fi

case "$ROTATION" in
            right)
            NEW_ROTATION="normal"
            ;;
            *)
            NEW_ROTATION="right"
            ;;
    esac
    echo $NEW_ROTATION

for x in /tmp/.X11-unix/*; do
            displaynum=`echo $x | sed s#/tmp/.X11-unix/X##`
            getXconsole;
            if [ x"$XAUTHORITY" != x"" ]; then
                export DISPLAY=":$displaynum.0"
            fi
            /usr/bin/xrandr -o $NEW_ROTATION
            echo $NEW_ROTATION > /var/lib/acpi-support/screen-rotation

if [ $NEW_ROTATION = "normal" ]; then
                xsetwacom set stylus rotate none
                xsetwacom set eraser rotate none
                su $user -c "compiz &"
            fi
            if [ $NEW_ROTATION = "right" ]; then
                xsetwacom set stylus rotate CW
                xsetwacom set eraser rotate CW
                su $user -c "metacity --replace &"
            fi
    done
    As you can see he also had a problem with Compiz on rotation. So he put in the script the change to metacity on rotation.

Enjoy.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

MisteR2 (or anybody who has figured it out):

Would it be possible to clarify the process needed to get it all working? I mean, I can patch the file and run the makefile, but as far as I can tell that doesn't get me anywhere.

Thanks

EDIT: Basically, I need to know 2 things. Do I need to run the makefile with only that patched file in the directory, or with the entire extracted contents of the directory, and also, once run, where do I find and then put the .fdi
    Last edited by cak3; May 12th, 2009 at 07:33 PM. Reason: more info

Beans
    Distro

The way it worked for me was with hp-wmi.c in the same directory as the makefile. For me it was /home/*username*/hp-wmi that I did my work in.

The .fdi file should go in /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty or something along those lines. The /usr/share/hal i'm positive about.

By the way, I should be able to devote some more time to this now that I've graduated from SMU. (WooHoo!)

Lat.

Page 11 of 65 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast