Page 20 of 65 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Rotate the Screen for a TX2000 Tablet PC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to Rotate the Screen for a TX2000 Tablet PC

Hi galenwilcox,

You've accomplished quite a lot. You installed Jaunty and then Hardy. You got Wacom working by configuring xorg.conf. So taking a break, read things over again, making some notes of what you've done if you haven't already. Giving yourself a little time to digest and process the information you've acquired seems like a reasonable thing to do. You probably have a little bit of information overload.

But a question. What Catalyst is currently in Hardy? If it's 8.9 or higher it supports rotation like it says at the top of the HOW TO. Maybe you need to repeat the aticonfig command? Copy and paste it in a terminal. Or check out the wiki it is linked to.

To get Xorg's Radeon just go to Hardware Drivers and deactivate the ATI driver. Reboot or restart X (ctr-alt-backspace). Radeon should install automatically. You may have to check on xorg.conf to see if things have been changed. So back it up first.
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak

Beans

Favux or ANYONE else with a answer,
    i know their is a very simple solution to this and usually i am pretty good at this sort of thing but i am having a hard time. could you or anyone please tell me how to see what version of flgxr i have installed? when i go to system>admin>hardware drivers it just says "ATI graphics accelerated driver" also when i run the aticonfig or the other "aticonfig --initial --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf" it says "Found fglrx primary device section
    Nothing to do, terminating." also when i uninstall the "ATI graphics accelerated driver" my screen looks terible.. PLEASE HELP ME GET THIS THING ROTATING. if somone else is going to jump in to help if you look at post #188 in this thread and thier is a list of what ive done.

THANK you, also i am so new to linux that even simple things confuse me like where to find files to edit and simple things like that so please a little help with commands and stuff is appreciated.

THANK YOU

Beans
    Distro

Hi galenwilcox,

Try in a terminal:
    Code:
    dpkg -l | grep ati
    and
    Code:
    dpkg -l | grep fglrx
    and
    Code:
    dpkg -l | grep [Cc]atalyst
    or maybe:
    Code:
    dpkg -l | grep ATI
    and see if it tells you the version number etc. in the output.

I don't think the radeon driver is suppose to look that bad. It may need some lines in the video "Device" section in xorg.conf to specify some settings. I don't know what those are. So maybe a little research. Are there some optional video settings you made when using "fglrx"? To the fonts or whatever. What happens when you go to System>Preferences>Appearance>Visual Effects. Have you tried changing the setting there?

Beans

hi favux here is the output.
    thank you. in the meantime i will try to disable driver, restart and configure the way you said.

Thanks

edit: i just disabled the ati driver, restarted then when i go to visual effects it will not let me enable any iy says "desktop effect could not be enabled when i click on extra or mix.

Thanks again
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by galenwilcox; July 8th, 2009 at 08:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi galenwilcox,

Mystery solved.
    Code:
    ii  xorg-driver-fglrx                          1:7.1.0-8-3+2.6.24.18-24.1                                 Video driver for ATI graphics accelerators
    Nearly impossible to decipher but I think "1:7.1.0-8-3" means "fglrx" 7.1.0 in Catalyst 8.3. And I confirmed on the ATI wiki that Hardy's repository is only up to Catalyst 8.3. And 8.3 doesn't allow rotation!

ATI wiki: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Main_Page
    Ubuntu page: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu
    Hardy page: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide
    Which shows you how to install Catalyst 9.6, which does allow rotation! But fairly intricate for a newbie, so you'd have to study it carefully and proceed cautiously.

Code:
    ii  xserver-xorg-video-ati                     1:6.8.0-1ubuntu1                                           X.Org X server -- ATI display driver
    I think ati is another name, or alias, for radeon. I don't remember the details.

You may be on a VESA driver, which is why things look so bad. So maybe the video section in xorg.conf should look like:
    Code:
    Section "Device"
    	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
    	Driver		"ati"
    #	Driver		"fglrx"
    EndSection
    instead of?:
    Code:
    Section "Device"
    	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
    	Driver		"radeon"
    #	Driver		"fglrx"
    EndSection
    But why don't you see if addition to Xorg's ati you have their radeon:
    Code:
    dpkg -l | grep radeon
    or in Synaptic Package Manager search ati, radeon, and xorg. See what's available.

Beans

Hi favux, scince we last spoke i have managed to crush everything had had acomplished on 8.04 by trying to update the drivers. no matter how hard it tried i could not get rid of mesa. well i decided to just start all over on jaunty because it seems like once i get the fdi files undestood and with you help i will be able to get things going and have the best final resuts. with magic screen rotation and compiz with touch and all.

PLEASE before i get to far could you give me ANY advice to help. on 8.04 i was having no problems except upgrading the vide driver.

on 8.10 after i followed this ->
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...t=wacom+tx2500

and when i get to part 5 i get errors such as file not found or similar. then when i try to copy in step 7 it doesnt work no such directory or somthing like that.

same thing when i use the other tutorial on post 104 but if i use your command to see if the wacom kernel is present it is.

well anyway i am installing jaunty right now, i do have pretty good grip on configuring xorg. and when i was on jaunty last time the only proble was when i used the command "dmesg | grep wacom" i only had 1 device i think i know how to plug my numbers into fdi. sort of like the "pci blah blah....usb 14.5 event mouse" thing nut i only had touch show up last time.

HOPEFULLY now things go smoother for me i am sick of working on it and want to play with it. ps does compiz work good on jaunty with the propitary video drivers"

THANKS A MILLION

Beans
    Distro

Hi galenwilcox,

Well it you are having a problem with files not found on step 5 what probably happened is you forgot one of the lines in step 2) or didn't copy the really long line. Notice how you have to use the slider at the bottom of the code box that contains it to see the whole thing. You probably cut it off short.

In gali98's Jaunty HOW TO on #104 you don't need the usb 14.5 event mouse line. That's for the xorg.conf not the 10-wacom.fdi you use in Jaunty.

Compiz works fine with the proprietary ATI driver except when you try to rotate. It messes things up when you are rotated. That's why I have the "Compiz off Rotation" script attached to the HOW TO up front. I think it works.

Good luck.

Beans

Favux, i just got the stylus, touch and eraser working now i want to make the screen rotate and get it key bound or on auto rotate when i swivel the screen, i am on jaunty i have the ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver enabled.. which method should i use to get the best end results 1 2 or 3 .

remeber i would like to use compiz, key binding and the auto rotate..

Thanks for you advice and all of your help.

Shawn

Beans
    Distro

Hi Shawn,

Ok, you've got the important stuff. You should be able to get rotation going, just maybe without all the eye candy you're hoping for.

I don't think you can use Compiz when rotated with "fglrx" yet. That's what the Compiz_off_Rotation script is for attached to the bottom of the HOW TO on the first page of this thread. It turns Compiz off before it rotates and then back on when it rotates back to landscape. It's worked for several folks so far, only one said it didn't work when rotated. If you want to try it set it up in a launcher first. When you drag a launcher into the top panel it only needs a single click.

I don't know about the auto rotation. If you're talking about the swivel hinge MisteR2 was doing that, but he hasn't posted in a while.

For key binding you have to see what bezel keys respond with xev.

Beans

Favux,

I got the compiz off rotation working in a launcher on the top panel, it works perfect the calibration is just off a little rotated other then that it is perfect.

the only bezel button i get response from is Q but it is mapped to music player, do you know how to remap that button. if not thats ok.

THANKS a million, SHAWN

Page 20 of 65 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast