Page 10 of 65 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Rotate the Screen for a TX2000 Tablet PC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to Rotate the Screen for a TX2000 Tablet PC

Hi MisteR2,

No problem re the links. Thanks for elucidating quickstart, I still haven't had a chance to look it over. I don't know how to go about getting someone to look at the hp-wmi module for us. It is probably to late for Jaunty. Actually a quick and dirty way to get attention might be posting in the Jaunty testing thread. That might be abusing the thread a little, but if you worded it right? They probably want things like that posted on Ubuntu Brainstorm.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I'll give brainstorm a shot. I'm not too worried about the needed changes making it into Jaunty. Personally I don't have too much of a problem playing with things outside of major releases (my desktop still runs gentoo ).

I will admit it would be nice if the debug kernels were a bit more accessible. Last I checked they still didn't have one for 2.6.27-11.

Lat.

EDIT: Bug's up. https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/344141
    Last edited by MisteR2; March 17th, 2009 at 04:37 PM.

Beans

Zihook,
    Sorry for not replying sooner, it has been a while since I have been on the forums. I actually saw your post because I reinstalled my system and then ran into the same error you describe when trying to rotate. So I retraced my steps, and found the answer.
    After installing the new driver, you need to run the command sudo aticonfig --set-pcs-str="DDX,EnableRandr12,TRUE", then logout.
    After that, rotation works for me as long as the screen is not composited.
    Hope this helps!
    adamsu

Beans
    Distro

Hi MisteR2,

Matthew Garett is listed as the HP-WMI module author on the module info dump that Leann Ogasawara did on your bug report.

He's active on the linux kernel lists and the kernel bug tracker. On this link he directly supplies a HP-WMI patch to a user reporting a key related bug:

http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11424

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hey, I was wondering what exactly is happening with the commands for getting the Q/DVD buttons to work (the hotkey-setup) it works... but I'm not quite getting what it's doing to fix it.

Beans
    Distro

Hi Trevski13,

That's my question. Gali98 says it resets the keymap. Maybe you can give me a sanity check. I don't know where you're starting from so forgive me if I get too basic.

Basically we're dealing with the initialization scripts in init.d. So rc refers to run command which have multiple run levels with I think 2 being the Ubuntu default. Now update-rc.d is a Debian utility. So to learn more about it:
    Code:
    man update-rc.d
    and http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Update-rc.d

as an aside in Intrepid they added:
    Code:
    sudo service hotkey-setup restart
    which means the same thing as:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/hotkey-setup restart
    So we are removing and installing a System-V style init script link (ok really Upstart) with hotkey-setup. With the -f forcing removal of the symlink. Some more background: http://www.ubuntu-unleashed.com/2007...ut-i-also.html

But what is the "99 1 2 3 4 5 6 ."? That's our question, correct? I don't follow it from the man page and googling doesn't give anything. I see some code with 99 followed by some numbers (not the same ones) but no context I can follow. I assume it's modifying hotkey-setup somehow.

A couple more links, but not so relevant.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestin...HotkeyResearch -see method 2
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Hotkeys/Troubleshooting

If you figure it out I would appreciate you letting me know!

Edit: Oh wait a minute. The 99 is the order to start the daemon? And 99 presumably is after every other daemon. And then run the daemon on levels 1 through 6 (Upstart's pseudo runlevels)? And the . is just part of the syntax, in case you want to follow it by another commmand? Hmmm.
    Last edited by Favux; April 8th, 2009 at 03:36 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi everyone and Trevski13 and Mark,

I think this is how the story goes. With Intrepid the new evdev input driver in X.Org 1.5 generated X keycodes that were different from Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (Hardy) and before. This resulted in non-functioning hotkeys, because keybindings (through a ~/.Xmodmap file or whatever) were no longer valid. My "Q" key keycode changed from 205 in Hardy to 201 in Intrepid.

This also meant that the previous keymap symlinks of hotkey-setup in the initization scripts of init.d were not valid. This may be why xev wouldn't work for some keys where it had previously worked. Now why were those previous symlinks present? I don't know. I upgraded, so that could explain it in my case. A failure of the upgrade process to reconfigure the symlinks.

What the commands:
    Code:
    sudo update-rc.d -f hotkey-setup remove
    sudo update-rc.d hotkey-setup start 99 1 2 3 4 5 6 .
    are doing is first stopping the hotkey-setup service/daemon. It has to be stopped to modify it. The "-f" is forcing the removal of the old, erroneous symlinks. The hotkey-setup daemon is restarted making new appropriate symlinks. The:
    Code:
    99 1 2 3 4 5 6 .
    starts the service (after allowing 98 other daemons to start) and applies it to run levels 1-6. Which makes sense, because we're dealing with basic hardware that we want working on every run level. And presto keys work again and xev can now detect the keycodes it couldn't before. The DVD key and the new 201 keycode I had for the "Q" key in Intepid weren't detected by xev until I ran the "update-rc.d" commands and reset my symlinks.

I'd appreciate feedback. Am I on the right track here?

Mark, if I have this right, it should probably work for you too. I'm still waiting for gali98 to get back on it.
    Last edited by Favux; April 7th, 2009 at 06:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

ok, so it makes perfect sense that the 99 is the start position. the run levels make sense too (although any clue why 6 is needed? I honestly don't understand the details of the run levels so that may be simple... so let me break this down and see if I've got this right...

If we take the code
    Code:
    sudo update-rc.d -f hotkey-setup remove
    sudo update-rc.d hotkey-setup start 99 1 2 3 4 5 6 .
    and break it down, we first have:
    Code:
    update-rc.d -f
    this is our command says we want to update a run command (and that we want to force it).
    then we have:
    Code:
    hotkey-setup
    which indicates the daemon/run command(?) we wish to modify,
    and this is followed by:
    Code:
    remove
    which is the option for our command, stating we'd like to remove said daemon/run command
    first line done wooo!
    what have we done? removed hotkey-setup from the run commands.

we then have:
    Code:
    update-rc.d
    this is our update command again but this time no forcing

Code:
    hotkey-setup
    once again we are modifying the hotkey-setup

Code:
    start
    here we have an option but now it's to start the daemon/run command,
    for which we are then given the parameter:
    Code:
    which is the position in the execution order the daemon/run command is to be placed(?),
    this is followed by:
    Code:
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    which are the run levels the daemon is allowed on,
    and FINALLY we have:
    Code:
    which... does... something........ or rather doesn't do anything, except, of course, make the command happy ^_^
    what have we done? we've (re-)added the hotkey-setup daemon to the run commands in position 99 and on run levels 1-6...

So... all in all... all we've done is modified (I assume, since we don't know the original parameters) the daemon to run 99th and on levels 1-6...

My question is this... how does doing that allow me to use my media keys... if anyone has an answer for me I'd love to hear it.

sorry if I went a little over-board with the "CODE" tags

And one last thing, if you or anyone else knows the original parameters (aka what I can use to put it back to how it was (media keys not working)) for the hotkey-setup daemon, I'd love to know what those are.

P.S. although we don't seem to be at that point yet, I, unfortunately, am unable to try/test much out on my laptop at the moment, I...er... killed the graphics (and the touch screen and rotation along with it)... somehow... so most of my attention is on fixing that. hopefully won't take long to fix, but just thought I'd mention it.

P.P.S. never mind, got the video fixed
    Last edited by Trevski13; April 8th, 2009 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Added P.S. & P.P.S.

Beans
    Distro

Hi Trevski13,

I don't think you quite have it. We are pretty deep in the boot process. The key thing is the -f and everything else is window dressing. If you look at:
    Code:
    ls -l /etc/rc2.d
    You see the symlinks between /etc/rc2.d and /etc/init.d/. Note the S infront. S(start), K(kill). And the numbers. Looks like I was wrong and hotkey-setup is 99 just because that's it's assigned number. But in that listing you'll see the symlink:
    S99hotkey-setup -> ../init.d/hotkey-setup
    So what we have to do is stop the hotkey-setup service/daemon so we can modify it. The modification we are making is breaking the symlink, -f, and then we are restarting the hotkey-setup daemon. Which apparently reforges a new corrected symlink. Don't ask me how, I assume that's some other initialization script tool.

So presumably there was a /etc/init.d/hotkey-setup with Hardy and then a new hotkey-setup in /etc/init.d/ with Intrepid.

Another way to look at the services would be using a CLI utility sysv-rc-conf. A gui front-end would be "bum", Bootup-Manager.

Another point is that the SystemVinit daemon and run levels don't really exist anymore. In Feisty they started deprecating it in favor of Upstart. This was to allow more modern stuff like hotplugging (shades of HAL). So Upstart is impersonating SystemVinit. Upstart also emulates the runlevels.

Anyway that's my current best guess.
    Last edited by Favux; April 9th, 2009 at 03:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Unhappy Re: How to Rotate the Screen for a TX2000 Tablet PC

alright, I get it. (in an, I-get-it-but-I-don't, kind of way) The boot process for the Linux kernel is somewhat of a dark corner for me, as are things like run levels and such doo-dads Lol. Now don't get me wrong, I'm sure I'll come to understand it as I troubleshoot problems. But that is neither here nor there. Anyway, at least now I understand enough to know that it won't get me where I want to go oh well...

Totally random do you know if anyone (besides myself) has come up with the solution for the touchpad on/off button on the tx2000 indefinitely launching gnome help? I saw some people complain about it, but never saw a solution, so if no one has, I'll make a post telling how to fix it ^_^

Page 10 of 65 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast