Thread: "What is programming?" thread closed: Why?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

"What is programming?" thread closed: Why?

Thread What is programming? was closed, with no apparent reason. There were no flamewars, civil dispute on points, with OP missing, but no abuse or anything. Why it was closed?

I understand that mod closing it was annoyed by it (for unknown reason), but it is a reason enough to silence harmless discussion?

Beans

Re: "What is programming?" thread closed: Why?

+1 All of us know that Programming Talk is a usual place of flamewars and such, specially on general-programming talks... The problem is can a mod close a thread preemptively to avoid an hypothetical flamewar or should he/she wait for evidence? In my opinion, the latter is the way to do, as the former can lead to an unfair thread closing. Yes, by closing the thread it can avoid an uncomfortable situation, but even if there's evidence pointing to the possiblity of a flamewar, you're never sure if it will happen until it happens (you know: a post can calm things down or the thread can simply suddenly die).

That thread was really friendly discussed. Even more, the PT is these last days a quite calm place and we're having interesting discussions without any trouble. So, I also don't understand why slavik closed the thread. An explanation from him and/or the Staff would be interesting, so we could understand the reasons behind this and have a better perspective on related scenarios.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by pmasiar View Post
    Thread What is programming? was closed, with no apparent reason. There were no flamewars, civil dispute on points, with OP missing, but no abuse or anything. Why it was closed?

I understand that mod closing it was annoyed by it (for unknown reason), but it is a reason enough to silence harmless discussion?
    Yeah!?!?!

Im pretty sure the forum is "everyones" not just a mods social experiment to control...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Moved to the Resolution Center. Please note that only the OP and admins should post in from now on. Thanks.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests by PM, thanks |

Beans

The thread seems to be of little value ,but accepted no rules have been broken. I will open it
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

my explanation/opinion is in that thread, but just to reiterate: it's useless and there are no gains to be had from its existance.
    I am infallible, you should know that by now.
    "My favorite language is call STAR. It's extremely concise. It has exactly one verb '*', which does exactly what I want at the moment." --Larry Wall
    (02:15:31 PM) ***TimToady and snake oil go way back...
    42 lines of Perl - SHI - Home Site