Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened to displayconfig-gtk?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

What happened to displayconfig-gtk?

Hi all. Can someone explain to me why displayconfig-gtk was dropped from Ubuntu? I did a clean install of 8.10 and nothing I did would get me above 800x600 resolution. Older releases of Ubuntu did a good job of detecting my laptop's resolution; more recent versions did a miserable job but at least you could use dispalyconfig-gtk to set the correct resolution. Now there's nothing left but the Screen Resolution application which I've never been able to make work.

Why remove a useful tool like this?

-Rob

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: What happened to displayconfig-gtk?

Code:
     sudo apt-get install displayconfig-gtk

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It was removed from the system because Xorg supports hotplugging and device autodetection now. However, there are cases where it may not work correctly. A new tool is in the works for 9.04 to tweak X options, but it isn't quite ready at the moment.

What's your graphics chipset? Paste your /etc/X11/xorg.conf as well, even if it doesn't have much in it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks, but I'm not running Ubuntu at the moment so I don't have the xorg.conf file hady; I was so annoyed at my inability to fix the resolution problem that I installed Pardus Linux over my Ubuntu system. It didn't do any better job of detecting the proper resolution but it has a KDE tool (vaguely similar to displayconfig-gtk) that lets me specify the laptop's resolution and gives me the results I want. It's a very old laptop (Compaq Presario with a "Made for Windows Me" sticker on it!) with an ATI Rage Mobility chipset. As I said, older versions of Ubuntu did a good job of detecting the laptop resolution but not recent versions. I don't think the device autodetection in Xorg is quite ready for prime time yet.

-Rob

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I did try this using Synaptic but I couldn't find the package. I should have tried your terminal method. Thank you.

-Rob

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by robtg View Post
    I did try this using Synaptic but I couldn't find the package. I should have tried your terminal method. Thank you.

-Rob
    It won't work in the terminal either; the package doesn't exist anymore, sorry.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?su...playconfig-gtk

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

[nevermind!]
    Last edited by thejennie; April 10th, 2009 at 05:31 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Any way to install displayconfig-gtk on Ubuntu 9.04??

Because now I've reinstalled Jaunty, I'm stuck with an flickering 800x600 display... And it's very upsetting when webdesigning

I tried to tweak xorg.conf by hand but nothing worked,
    I also tried the sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg but it did not solve my problem.

HELP!!
    Last edited by 0liv; May 11th, 2009 at 05:51 PM.

Beans

really kind of messed up that this important tool was just tossed out, and nothing to replace it. Once again Ubuntu is dead to me for some rediculous reason. Back to windows

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by robtg View Post
    I don't think the device autodetection in Xorg is quite ready for prime time yet.

-Rob

understatement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast