Thread: Installation of Ubuntu packages without internet

Beans

Installation of Ubuntu packages without internet

Hello !
    I am new to Ubuntu (old guy... was used to red hat few years back).
    We have to install Ubuntu on a new PC in our office.
    Problem is that office network does not allow apt-get kind of automated install over internet.
    Please suggest how to install Multiple packages (how to get dependencies on .deb packages) on my PC ?
    Thanks,
    samant

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Installation of Ubuntu packages without internet

You can do something like install a mirror of the repositories

Or if your network requires a proxy you can configure it in apt.

If you are using NTLM authentication you will need to configure a NTLM proxy parser.

You can modify /etc/apt/sources.list to use other repositories

Or you can use UCK (Ubuntu Customization Kit) to make a custom CD/DVD with the required packages.

Beans

Re: Installation of Ubuntu packages without internet

APTonCD, pal...

Beans

Smile Re: Installation of Ubuntu packages without internet

Hi. Here is my how-to if I want to install fresh Ubuntu with all programs without need to download them. You need: some PC with Ubuntu where all these programs are already downloaded and installed.

- Go to directory /var/cache/apt/archive - this is directory where all packages are stored when downloaded. Copy all files from here somewhere on new Ubuntu's disk drive, not necessarily to the apt/archive.
    - If you don't have list file ( Packages.gz ) in 'archive' directory then create it like:
    dpkg-scanpackages . /dev/null | gzip -9c > Packages.gz
    which you have to run in directory containing the packages. You can put "Packages.gz" anywhere you like.
    - Run Synaptic Manager and go to Settings / Repositories and unselect all the repositories.
    - Add new 3rd party repository - a "Packages.gz" list file of the packages you want to add with syntax:
    deb file:/directory-where-you-have-the-package-file ./
    - Click on 'Reload' icon in synaptic
    - run Synaptic, go to 'status' selection section, and choose 'Not installed' list. There you see list of all packages which you copied on your hard-drive, and you can install them.