Page 13 of 123 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: grub2 EFI boot loader internal/external booting

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: grub2 EFI boot loader internal/external booting

Quote Originally Posted by step21 View Post
    Or is there a special reason you need/want to use EFI grub?
    I want to install linux only once, and do it with out any emulation as far as it is possible. Elier I have had installed "dual booting", for single operating system (linux), under "dual bootng" I understand first boot rEFIt and secondly boot grub, on emeulated bios, as you said before. It isn't nice way ... but for now time i suppose it is only one way :/

Quote Originally Posted by pxwpxw View Post
    If you pull out a RAM DIMM to drop the RAM below 4GB, grub64.efi will load and load a kernel.
    Yes, after remove one of RAM DIMM grub has started, but I can't manage to boot kernel (it stats to load and stops, but I'll work on it).

Is tehere any way to enable verbose mode or debug messages when grub.efi is loading (I want to know when it stops, I think that would be helpful for grub dev team) ?

Beans

Hmmm, I could do with an idiots guide for this. I guess I will give it a go and try and document the steps as I go.

My initial understanding is.

1) Install refit on the mac internal drive.

2) Partition the usb drive using the Mac disk utils to create a small HFS+ Partition with GUID partitioning mode enabled.

3) Get the grub efi tarball and extract it into a folder EFI in this partition.

4) Boot the machine at the refit screen should be able to select the USB drive. Which should (all things willing) boot into the efi grub.

The following bits are where I am not as sure what to do.

5) Boot off the live CD and select advanced options for the install and tell it not to install a boot loader? Creating a 2nd partition that is ext3 for the installation.

6) After install has completed, boot into grub again and configure it to know about the new linux partition.

Does this seem about right?

At what point do I need to blacklist the agp device? Presumably once grub is installed I can load the usb installation in some kind of safe mode in order to make the blacklist changes. (Which will also involve some kind of text mode only editor bleugh!).
    Would it make sense to create the blacklist config file in OSX and put it on the boot partition.

I would like to be able to use the usb stick on both Mac and normal windows machine. Would I be better using a fat32 partition to store the GRUB EFS stuff?

Cheers,
    CC
    Last edited by CaptainChickenpants; February 9th, 2009 at 01:39 PM. Reason: extra questions.

Beans
    Hidden!

@CaptainChickenpants: if you only want to try how grub efi works you better done it this way (it is how i play with elilo and grub-efi)
    1. You must have Os X installed on GUID partiton table
    2. If you have GUID partition table created by apple's disc utility you have minimum 2 partitions becouse it always create first hidden small partition for efi (it is always vfat)
    3. If you want to build on your on grub.efi you must have linux somewhere (i have 64bit gentoo under VirtualBox and i scp grub-efi data from virtual machine to localhot)
    4. On Os X termianl app mount first partion
      Code:
      moint -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/efi
    5. Create dir /Volumes/efi/EFI/grub and put there grub.efi (and *.mod, *.lst, grub.conf files)
    6. Download rEFIt livecd and burn it.
    7. reboot
    8. Holt down alt/option key, choose rEFIt and secondly grub/grub.efi

That procedure won't break yours exisiting system.

I'm not sure, but efi prefers boot *.efi instead of bios/mbr boot loaders. so even if you manage to install grub or lilo it won't work without rEFIt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@Lock: I don't think you understand what emulation means here. It does not mean it will be slower. In fact, cause graphics acceleration won't work with EFI it's guaranteed to be faster if you install it without EFI. EFI booting simply is highly experimental at this point, not really working and there is nothing nice and clean about it.

@CaptainChickenPants: What mac model do you have? I strongly advise you to read all of the thread.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by step21 View Post
    @Lock: I don't think you understand what emulation means here. It does not mean it will be slower. In fact, cause graphics acceleration won't work with EFI it's guaranteed to be faster if you install it without EFI. EFI booting simply is highly experimental at this point, not really working and there is nothing nice and clean about it.

@CaptainChickenPants: What mac model do you have? I strongly advise you to read all of the thread.
    Thanks,

Am at work at the moment so can't check. But I beleive it is a 2,1 Macbook.

Will definatly be reading the whole thread in a little more detail. Just trying to boil the information down into a clean simple set of instructions. As my macbook is my only machine I will not be able to pause half-way and refer to the thread.

CC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@Lock Why do you put stuff on the hidden partition? While that might not have any bad implications for now, I think it's much easier to just install refit and then put you grub.efi etc. into /EFI/*

I'm not sure, but efi prefers boot *.efi instead of bios/mbr boot loaders. so even if you manage to install grub or lilo it won't work without rEFIt
    I'm not sure what you mean by this exactly, but know this: The firmware will only allow you to boot mbr bootloaders if they are on a seperate partition, for EFI this doesn not have to be the case. Apart from that it doesn't prefer much.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChickenpants View Post
    I would like to be able to use the usb stick on both Mac and normal windows machine. Would I be better using a fat32 partition to store the GRUB EFS stuff?
    AFAIK Apple EFI system can boot system for mbr partiotn table, so you don't have to install grub-efi or elilo or even rEFIt. It take some time to boot (using original Apple efi boot mgr) but it boot's.

AFAIR my macbook boots gentoo from mbr partion using grub but that take some time (2-3 minutes of white screen but it runs).

I personaly recommend you keep it as simple as it is possible, so better (if you want to boot yours srick on efi and bios systems) solution would be have normal MBR partion and boot system (like grub or lilo) instead of playing with efi and brub on efi and non-efi systems.

Beans

Hmmm,
    In that case I have kind of misunderstood the point of this thread. My understanding was that to get the mac too boot from usb it was necessary to use the grub-efi. As the normal grub would be trying to use a normal PC bios.

If what you say is correct, then perhaps when I tried booting from a USB stick I simply didn't leave it long enough. I seem to recall that long boot times are sometimes associated with trying to boot from a non blessed partition.

So you reckon, format stick with MBR partioning and just do a live-cd boot and then just do the USB install that is in the ibex system menu?

CC

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChickenpants View Post
    Thanks,

Am at work at the moment so can't check. But I beleive it is a 2,1 Macbook.

Will definatly be reading the whole thread in a little more detail. Just trying to boil the information down into a clean simple set of instructions. As my macbook is my only machine I will not be able to pause half-way and refer to the thread.

CC
    A MacBook 2,1 is one of the lucky ones that will run grub.efi very well, the 32bit version as in the top of the thread. You just got to get it installed and configured correctly as described and use an i386 2.6.27 kernel (ubuntu 810). Whatever you do, get rEFIt installed and on a CD FIRST.

Beans
    Hidden!

@step21: yes, i know that support for efi under linux is experimental but i want to try. i don't think that creating some files on hidden vfat partion could broke something. this way works elilo when you install it (i mean that elilo install script creates caltalog on hidden partition, puts thete elilo.efi, elilo.conf, boot catalog, and README.txt file ), so whay it could break something ?

Page 13 of 123 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast