Thread: How does one take only the needed stuff?

Beans

Question How does one take only the needed stuff?

hello,

After compiling a program, one has junk in the build dir. How does one only extract the needed stuff to be packaged? Otherwise the deb-creator will package even the source code. Thanks.

Beans

Re: How does one take only the needed stuff?

What is deb-creator?

The answer to your question depends on how you have built the program at this point. If you have only compiled the source with no deb package commands or with no debian directory, then it depends on if the program uses the autoconf way or a simple makefile way. If the program uses the autoconf way - (configure make make install), then you "MIGHT" be able to install into a temporary directory where you can then make a deb package.
    In the source directory, try a "grep -ir destdir *". If you see a bunch of destdir listings, then "most likely" the program will install properly into a temporary directory by doing a "make DESTDIR=/some/path install".

Beans

Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by hissyfut View Post
    What is deb-creator?

The answer to your question depends on how you have built the program at this point. If you have only compiled the source with no deb package commands or with no debian directory, then it depends on if the program uses the autoconf way or a simple makefile way. If the program uses the autoconf way - (configure make make install), then you "MIGHT" be able to install into a temporary directory where you can then make a deb package.
    In the source directory, try a "grep -ir destdir *". If you see a bunch of destdir listings, then "most likely" the program will install properly into a temporary directory by doing a "make DESTDIR=/some/path install".
    This is what I was trying to do first from another thread: It works well, but one also would package unneeded files. Thanks though for reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlanthir View Post
    I'm no PRO, but I'll give it a shot!

Create a folder on your home called PACKAGENAME.
    Inside, you're going to have 2 folders: DEBIAN and usr.

On usr, you recreate the files and folders you want your file system to have after install.
    Meaning, if you want to have an application in /usr/share/myprogram
    you would create a folder named share in usr and then another named myprogram in share. Something like this:

/home/you/PACKAGENAME
    |
    |--- DEBIAN
    |--- usr
    |
    |
    |--- myprogram

That's it for the data files. On to the DEBIAN folder.
    The DEBIAN folder is used to provide package information.

Inside, it will only have a single textfile named control

Here is a template control file for you to work on:

Code:
    Package: myprogram
    Priority: optional
    Section: games
    Installed-Size: 91.3
    Maintainer: L0tU5
    Architecture: i386
    Version: 0:0.5
    Depends: libgtk2.0-0, python-gtk2
    Description: A super program.

After all that, you're ready to build the package!
    Fire up a terminal and issue the following command:

Code:
    dpkg-deb -b PACKAGENAME
    So, there you go, I hope I was clear =)
    I think it's slightly handcrafted and there are probably more automatic ways, but this is the only one I know

Notes: Don't forget to change PACKAGENAME and myprogram to names of your choosing! About the menu entries, you'll have to create the .desktop files you want and place them in /usr/share/applications. Check that folder for some examples (open them with gedit!)

Beans

It is impossible to support Debian packaging using a DEBIAN binary control file.

See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=958456 for a more complete discussion of the problems and suggestions on better approaches to package management.

Beans

$ debuild clean
    $ debuild -S

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by InfinityCircuit View Post
    It is impossible to support Debian packaging using a DEBIAN binary control file.
    It seems to work fine, just as Arlanthir stated. Have used this and it works easy, all you need is keep a template of control file and copy it into a DEBIAN directory of the root install directory.
    For example:

mkdir /var/tmp/program-1.1

# this might better done with sudo then files will have
    # appropriate ownership. In fact this part might better done
    # through fakeroot, but not familiar with it yet.
    make DESTDIR=/var/tmp/program-1.1 install
    mkdir /var/tmp/program-1.1/DEBIAN
    cp /path/to/control /var/tmp/program-1.1/DEBIAN/

# edit control to fit program-1.1

cd /var/tmp
    dpkg-deb --build program-1.1

This is only for a private install and not for a package uploaded to a community.