Thread: Quick LCD Monitor Question...

Beans

Quick LCD Monitor Question...

Right now I'm on a Dell Latitude E6400 laptop, and both ubuntu and windows says that it has a maximum resolution of 1280x800. But I'm thinking about buying a 19" LCD monitor, and its website says that its recommended resolution is at 1440x900.

My question is, when I plug the monitor in, will the monitor's resolution be able to get up to 1440x900?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Quick LCD Monitor Question...

I think it is more a function of your video card. Check some of the large threads on compatible and non-compatible hardware.

best

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

What graphics card does your laptop have? You should be fine the resolution on your laptop is the highest that your screen can display, but if you plug in a monitor that is capable of higher resolutions it should display at those resolutions just fine. Someone else correct me if I am wrong.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

1440x900 is possible but it depends on whether the video card offers the higher resolution or not

Beans

How do I check which driver my display is using?

I'll attach my lspci anyway:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Hi.

If it is any help I am using Intrepid and it defaults to my monitors native resolution of 1680x1050. my graphics card does support higher resolutions but I have not set anything up, it found the settings at instalation and there it was, it did it all by itself.

Cheers and all the best.

Tim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

System >Administration >Hardware Drivers

Beans

System > Administration > Hardware Drivers only shows me my Broadcom STA wireless driver, which is proprietary. Theres nothing else that shows up. Any other ideas?

This laptop is pretty new (only several months old), so chances are that it will support 1440x900, right?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If the screen in your laptop is 1280x800, then ofcourse Windows and Ubuntu will show that that's the max. resolution. That doesn't mean it's the max. resolution with any screen.

If the laptop is new, then most likely it won't be a problem.

If you want to know what the max is that your video card supports, find out what video card is in the laptop and look on the website of the manufacturer of the video card to find the specifications.
    Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

Well my Display driver is the Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset, but on Intel's website's manual I couldn't find anything that said my maximum resolution. On the FAQ there was the question "What is my maximum resolution", and it said to look through the manual, which did not help. Any other ideas? I'm just going to keep looking myself.