Thread: Webcam is where?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Webcam is where?

Hello,

I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10, Please keep that discussion out of this, and I notied my Panasonic webcam now works with cheese, but I don't know how to tell what device name it's picking my camcorder up as.

The reason is, Is because I want to try to use it to edit, but cheese seems to be the only application that actually sees it, and video works perfectly fine.

It's a Panasonic DV camcorder I'm using in WebCam mode, I'll try to get model later, or if anyone needs it
    Ubuntu+GNOME! Main Computer: 3.00GHZ, 2048MB RAM, 17" Widescreen monitor, Ubuntu 8.10 (64-bit), Windows XP MCE 2005 (32-bit).Resolution: 1280 x 720 Laptop: 700MHZ, 128 MB ram, 1x" LCD Montior. Windows 2000 PRO (32-bit), Resolution 1024 x768.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Webcam is where?

My webcam is /dev/video0 which is the norm for webcams.

The reason is, Is because I want to try to use it to edit, but cheese seems to be the only application that actually sees it,
    Do you mean that you want to edit videos downloaded from the camera?
    What happens when you connect the camera in normal mode,does the system detect it as a storage device?
    Are you connecting it via usb lead?

Post output from a terminal of
    Code:
    lsusb
    with the camera connected and not connected.Also the same when in webcam mode.

Good Luck
    Hypertension = Take with a pinch of salt
    | Psychocats | Ubuntu Documentation | Howto [Solved] | BBcode list | Brother Website |

Beans

As said above, /dev/video0 is the usual location for webcams. If Cheese is the only program detecting your webcam, open up Cheese and go to Edit -> Preferences -- it will say where your webcam is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by HoppingWombat View Post
    As said above, /dev/video0 is the usual location for webcams. If Cheese is the only program detecting your webcam, open up Cheese and go to Edit -> Preferences -- it will say where your webcam is.
    Cheese says:
    DVC (/dev/video01)

Yup, that's it.. Now why is Cheese the only program seeing it
    Ubuntu+GNOME! Main Computer: 3.00GHZ, 2048MB RAM, 17" Widescreen monitor, Ubuntu 8.10 (64-bit), Windows XP MCE 2005 (32-bit).Resolution: 1280 x 720 Laptop: 700MHZ, 128 MB ram, 1x" LCD Montior. Windows 2000 PRO (32-bit), Resolution 1024 x768.