Thread: Hibernate/Standby doesn't work! Help.

Beans

Hibernate/Standby doesn't work! Help.

Hi all,

I am new to mythbuntu. After installing 8.10, updating packages and activating the nvidia driver 173 and playing with it for a while, it seems to be going well apart from the Quit methods.

First; I don't know if this is related to the hibernate/standby issues or not, but selecting restart from the quit menu brings up the login window instead of just restarting the system as expected. Whereas shutdown does indeed run the shutdown sequence but fails to power down the system leaving the fans and power led on until the power switch is pressed.

Hibernate experience:
    Selecting hibernate causes the screen to go black with a flashing cursor in the top left corner while the hdd led flashes writing the file, finally the monitor goes into standby and the hdd stop spinning. But like the shutdown above it leaves the fans running and the power led on until the power switch is pressed. Restore in the splash screen is see "Waking up. Please wait" after a few seconds the progress bar freezes. Nothing seems to help but a reboot.

Suspend experience:
    This seems to be complete very fast putting the monitor into standby and spinning down the hdd but yet again it leaves the fans running and the power led on until the power switch is pressed. Restore there seems to be no way to get it to wake, the power switch, keyboard, mouse etc.. does nothing, only pressing the reset switch seems to work.

So obviously there is something I need to configure, however I have been unable to find anything 8.10 specific in the forums.

For the record hibernate and standby work perfectly on this system when running winXP, so the hardware seems capable.

Thanks.

System details:
    lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 745 Host (rev 01)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] Virtual PCI-to-PCI bridge (AGP)
    00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS85C503/5513 (LPC Bridge)
    00:02.1 SMBus: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS961/2 SMBus Controller
    00:02.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 07)
    00:02.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 07)
    00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE] (rev d0)
    00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738 (rev 10)
    00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Standard Microsystems Corp [SMC] 83c170 EPIC/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter (rev 06)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] (rev a1)

/etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "ViewSonic E70"
    HorizSync 31.5 - 57.0
    VertRefresh 50.0 - 70.0
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Device "nvidia FX5200"
    Monitor "ViewSonic E70"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "nvidia-auto-select" "1920x1080" "1280x720" "1024x768" "720x576" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load "glx"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "nvidia FX5200"
    Option "DPI" "100x100"
    Option "UseEvents" "1"
    Option "AddARGBVisuals" "1"
    Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "1"
    Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT"
    Option "TVOutFormat" "COMPOSITE"
    Option "TVStandard" "PAL-B"
    Driver "nvidia"
    Option "NoLogo" "True"
    EndSection

Beans

Re: Hibernate/Standby doesn't work! Help.

This is probably not much help as I'm a noob at this but, i had a similar problem which turned out to be the fact that i did not have enough swap allocated.

Raz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I just upgraded to Intrepid after using Gutsy on my Compaq F730US for over a year. After the upgrade, Suspend no longer worked. I ended up installing the nVidia Restricted Drivers and that completely fixed the 'Suspend' behavior of the laptop.

I'm not sure if you are running ATI/nVidia/other but it's worth a try to install the proprietary drivers for your laptop.

The problem with mine was that the standard Intrepid default video driver wouldn't reinitialize the screen after Suspending. Good luck!
    -ZanexGt
    Phenom X4 B55 | Latitude 2100
    4GB DDR2 - 1066 Ram | 1.5GB DDR2
    Ubuntu 09.10 | Ubuntu 10.04

Beans

Thanks for your suggestions but, no it's shouldn't be swap as I have plenty and I am running with the restricted drivers activated already.

free -m
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 755 517 238 0 16 227
    -/+ buffers/cache: 273 482
    Swap: 972 0 972

Anyone else know what I need to do to get it working?