Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Acer Aspire 5735z

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Acer Aspire 5735z

I have the Acer Aspire 5735z laptop as well, but I can't even seem to get it to boot using the live disc. I've tried in versions 8.04 and 8.10, as well as digging out an old version 7 disc. I'm able to get to the main screen of the CD where you can choose installation, but once I select to install, it goes through the loading screen and then goes black with a blinking _ cursor in the top left. If I boot it as a live disc, I get:

"Buffer I/O error on device..."

And then it continues to reprint this message and a couple slight variations until I shut down the laptop.

With the version 7 disc, I was able to get past the load screen, but I started receiving errors that the screens could not be found. While I wasn't surprised by this since it was a brand new laptop, I am surprised I'm having this much trouble with the newest release of Ubuntu. Any thoughts? I know I probably haven't provided enough detail, but I am at a loss.

On a side note, OpenSUSE 11 was successfully able to be installed and the only problem I had was the wifi. Fedora 8 does not install and gives me the same issue as Ubuntu. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Acer Aspire 5735z

So I downloaded and successfully installed Fedora 10 over the weekend and it worked flawlessly, even my wifi. So now I'm even more confused about Ubuntu not even loading the live CD portion on my laptop. Anyone have success with this laptop?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi!

UPDATE!!!

Isn't necessary do the steps below, only install linux-backports-modules which contains the newest wifi drivers too, (and this method) use dkms, so if you do a kernel upgrade you don't have to reinstall anything!!!

Whith steps below after a kernel upgrade you have to reinstall the downloaded package!

------------

My friend bought one of this laptop. He gave me to install Ubuntu.

I could install Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid (32 bit) without any problem, the only thing that is not worked, was the wifi.

I found, that the laptop has Atheros AR928X chip.

I searched via google about this chip and finally now the wifi is working too!!!

The solution that worked for me I found here

So downloaded from here this

I followed the instructions from there, but at sudo make unload gave me error, that it couldn't remove one module, the mac80211.

First I had to remove the ath9k module manually (because the mac80211 module was used by this module):

Code:
    sudo rmmod ath9k
    After this step with sudo make unload it could remove the necessary modules.

The next and final step was sudo make load

But I saw that the ath9k module wasn't loaded, so I had to load it manually:

Code:
    sudo modprobe ath9k
    Now the wifi is working!!! And the wifi button light also

So I suggest you to try it!

here is some information from the working wifi:

Code:
    potyesz@ubuntu-laptop-potyesz:~$ lsmod |grep ath
    ath9k                 250160  0 
    mac80211              213296  1 ath9k
    rfkill                 17176  2 ath9k
    led_class              12164  2 acer_wmi,ath9k
    Code:
    potyesz@ubuntu-laptop-potyesz:~$ dmesg | grep ath
    [   14.447520] ath9k: 0.1
    [   14.510284] ath9k 0000:03:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
    [   14.524286] ath9k 0000:03:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
    [   14.958447] phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'ath9k_rate_control'
    [   15.108618] Registered led device: ath9k-phy0:radio
    [   15.123008] Registered led device: ath9k-phy0:assoc
    [   15.137112] Registered led device: ath9k-phy0:tx
    [   15.166473] Registered led device: ath9k-phy0:rx
    Code:
    potyesz@ubuntu-laptop-potyesz:~$ iwlist scan
    lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0      Interface doesn't support scanning.

wmaster0  Interface doesn't support scanning.

wlan0     Scan completed :
              Cell 01 - Address: 00:13:F7:2F:14:14
                        ESSID:"nanasi28"
                        Mode:Master
                        Channel:6
                        Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
                        Quality=8/100  Signal level:-91 dBm  
                        Encryption key:off
                        IE: Unknown: 00086E616E6173693238
                        IE: Unknown: 010882848B960C183048
                        IE: Unknown: 030106
                        IE: Unknown: 07064E4C20010D14
                        IE: Unknown: 2A0104
                        IE: Unknown: 32041224606C
                        Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
                                  12 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s
                                  48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
                        Extra:tsf=0000005211aca5db
                        Extra: Last beacon: 4ms ago

pan0      Interface doesn't support scanning.
    The wifi is working also after reboot!

Good luck

dbius

ps: sorry for my English
    Last edited by dbius; December 23rd, 2008 at 11:37 PM.

Beans

Hi everybody!

I have bought Acer 5735Z couple days ago. Under Ubuntu 8.04 version it realy didn't work properly. Microphone, build-in web camera didn't work and even it was not possible to watch any movie (system just hanging without any response to mouse or keyboard!)
    When I upgraded to 8.10, then it became possible to watch movie. But I still have problem with Microphone and build-in camera.

Have somebody faced with same problem?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lexus_ View Post
    Hi everybody!

I have bought Acer 5735Z couple days ago. Under Ubuntu 8.04 version it realy didn't work properly. Microphone, build-in web camera didn't work and even it was not possible to watch any movie (system just hanging without any response to mouse or keyboard!)
    When I upgraded to 8.10, then it became possible to watch movie. But I still have problem with Microphone and build-in camera.

Have somebody faced with same problem?
    Built-in webcam worked for me under Ubuntu 8.10 "out of the box" so I didn't do anything with it. (I tried it with Skype).

Microphone: has got this laptop a built-in microphone?? Because skype worked for me only with an external (jack) microphone.

And what's the matter with the wifi at you? Works for you or not?

Beans

Thanks dbius for quick response. Wifi works good without any problem under 8.04 and 8.10. I have tried external microphone and it works now - under 8.10 (it didn't under 8.04)
    About Skype... I have tested my webcam there and it doesn't work. But good to know if it works for you

Beans
    Distro

Thanks dbius for quick response. Wifi works good without any problem under 8.04 and 8.10. I have tried external microphone and it works now - under 8.10 (it didn't under 8.04)
    About Skype... I have tested my webcam there and it doesn't work. But good to know if it works for you
    It'strange... did you an update you used skype?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dbius View Post
    It'strange... did you an update you used skype?
    Yes, I downloaded skype two days ago from skype.com. Actually issue with webcam has been solved Today just after subscription to medibuntu repository and load updates. Source page https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

Beans
    Distro

Yes, I downloaded skype two days ago from skype.com. Actually issue with webcam has been solved Today just after subscription to medibuntu repository and load updates. Source page https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu
    Congratulation

hmmm... I used medibuntu repo too but I didn't recognize that this was necessary for a working webcam

Beans

I have an Acer Aspire 5730Z, so very close to the 5735;
    I wanted to install a linux operating system on it and i have choosen ubuntu 8.10, because I understand that it's the best linux for notebooks.

Giving the fact that I am an old Windows user, I am a total noob and have no ideea how to use the linux, especially how to install new drivers. In windows it's very simple, you just run the exe, or you use device manager to reinstall a driver from a given location.
    How do I install the driver for my Atheros AR928X? Because the wireless network doesn't work. It can see the wireless networks, also with the power for each of it, but is unable to connect
    What steps do I have to make, where do I have to go, etc...
    Please, can someone explain for me? ;

Also, why the System->Administration->Hardware Drivers is empty? What does this represents in fact?

Thank you!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast