Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ubuntu flash drive and hard drive

Beans

Re: ubuntu flash drive and hard drive

Quote Originally Posted by TokenBad View Post
    But if I did a full install now with windows already on my pc wouldn't it try to install grub at the end of the install so it would boot into windows to?

TokenBad
    If you follow the instructions I gave before about clicking the "advanced" button and changing Grub to be installed to the Ubuntu partition, and not the MBR, then you will be just fine. Only if you install Grub to the MBR will it take over the booting process on start up. If you instead install Grub to the Ubuntu partition as I described, when you reboot you will still boot directly into Windows since the MBR is not touched.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by caljohnsmith View Post
    If you follow the instructions I gave before about clicking the "advanced" button and changing Grub to be installed to the Ubuntu partition, and not the MBR, then you will be just fine. Only if you install Grub to the MBR will it take over the booting process on start up. If you instead install Grub to the Ubuntu partition as I described, when you reboot you will still boot directly into Windows since the MBR is not touched.
    oooooohhhhh...ok that is where I was confused...I understand now..ok..will do that..and let you know when done

TokenBad

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by caljohnsmith View Post
    ok got the install going and its almost done..hope your still around. But once the install is done..what should I do.

TokenBad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12