Thread: Wireless Disconnects when Phone Rings

Beans

Wireless Disconnects when Phone Rings

Twice today the phone has rung, and twice have I returned to find that my laptop is no longer connected to the internet. I have no trouble connecting again, but it's annoying. Also, the Gnome System Monitor closes each time. This problem is apparently common with cordless phones, but I'm using a wired phone. It can also be related with DSL, but I'm using cable. Anyone know whats going on?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Wireless Disconnects when Phone Rings

This is not uncommon. Many systems use the ~2 ghz wireless range for wi-fi and many cordless phones do as well. I know you stated that you have a wired phone and cable internet, but is there a cordless phone anywhere in the house? Call yourself from a cell phone and see if you can repeat the problem with regularity. Unplug any cordless phones in the house and try again. Also make sure there is 10 feet or more distance between the wi-fi unit and any phone, wired or not. Actually it is good practice to have the wi-fi unit a good distance from anything electrical at all.
    -- Coreigh

"Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible"
    ... Einstein or Escher, you pick ...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Coreigh View Post
    This is not uncommon. Many systems use the ~2 ghz wireless range for wi-fi and many cordless phones do as well. I know you stated that you have a wired phone and cable internet, but is there a cordless phone anywhere in the house? Call yourself from a cell phone and see if you can repeat the problem with regularity. Unplug any cordless phones in the house and try again. Also make sure there is 10 feet or more distance between the wi-fi unit and any phone, wired or not. Actually it is good practice to have the wi-fi unit a good distance from anything electrical at all.
    There are a few wireless phones in the house, and a wired phone right next to the router. I'll try this later.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

You might be able to change the frequency of your wireless router. I used to have a similar problem, but after changing the frequency I no longer have that issue.

Beans

Do you have to use filters on your phone jacks? I know that typically only DSL needs jack filters, but yours might be special

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Coreigh View Post
    Indeed, if someone's using a cordless phone, I can't connect. I'll change the router frequency later and see if that helps.