Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Wii Remote in Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (8.10)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOWTO: Wii Remote in Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (8.10)

Quote Originally Posted by pmontini View Post
    Thanks for all the help, but I could not find a way to rebuild modules, so I bought a new micro usb dongle and everything works perfectly!

hardy 8.04 - Cyber-blue Micro Usb Dongle = Works out of box with Wiimote
    Intrepid 8.10 - Cyber-blue Micro Usb Dongle = Does not work with Wiimote

Intrepid 8.10 - Kensington Usb Micro Dongle = Works out of box with Wiimote
    GREAT! ! I'm very glad you managed to work it out!

Apparently most problems with incompatibilities between wiimotes and Ubuntus can be solved bu switching dongles...! I added this tip/advice to my guide!

Keep wiimoting!
    7$]-[!8@\|//\Rr!0|2!!!
    =D>
    My Little Ubuntu Blog!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by joesnose View Post
    ... although the deamon does not seem to persist, i have to push the panel icon twice to get it to connect, so if i power off the wiimote, it does not get rediscovered when i push the 1 and 2 buttons.
    Quite true,
    I just tested for myself if this is the case.
    Running wminput in deamon mode does not act as a daemon too well.
    It won't reconnect at all.

Tried using all of these to no avail:-
    Code:
    sudo wminput -d 00:1F:32:95:EF:B0
    sudo wminput -r 00:1F:32:95:EF:B0
    sudo wminput -r 5 00:1F:32:95:EF:B0
    There's a chance compiling cwiid from source may resolve this.
    I haven't checked if this is a known bug or not either.

Thunderstorm coming in, have to go now ---->
    -Rhubarb
    Work smart, not hard.

Beans

Hi, I've just installed ubuntu again. It's a long time since i last used it.
    I would really like to try the whiteboard, but i live in the middle of nowhere an it would cost a fortune to get a IR LED sent to me. It would even cost more to drive to a store to buy one. So i wonder, could i use a IR LED from an old remote instead of buying one or is that a bad idea?

Rock on! Galgylf

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by galgylf View Post
    ...So i wonder, could i use a IR LED from an old remote instead of buying one or is that a bad idea?
    Yes, that should work fine.
    A 1.5 volt battery (AAA or AA should be fine to use) and a push button momentary switch is all that you should need to get it to work.

Just remember LEDs are polarised devices, they only work when they're in the circuit in the correct way (I forget which, anode or cathode to +ve), so if it doesn't work one way, try the other way.

Also, you shouldn't use just the remote for your whiteboard, as remotes pulse the IR LED, which causes big problems for the whiteboard app, as it registers double clicks everywhere.

IR LEDs shouldn't need a current limiting resistor in series when they're connected to a 1.5V supply, so it should be safe to connect up without one (which is what I'm currently doing with my IR LED pen).

Have fun wiimote whiteboarding!
    Work smart, not hard.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Toshibawarrior View Post
    As a side note: if these steps don't work, get your important data backed up since there's a 99% chance that a fresh install is in need to be done...most problems that emerge from faulty upgrades are extremely hard to fix...the only "easy" way is to backup, delete, format and install anew...sad but true.
    Great tutorial, much appreciated.

Just FYI, you don't really need to backup or format when reinstalling Ubuntu. Just select "Manual" in the partitioning step of Ubiquity, set the mount point of the partition from your previous install to /, and voila. It will clear out every folder except /home and leave all your personal files in place. I've done this several times and it works perfectly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Contrast View Post
    Great tutorial, much appreciated.

Just FYI, you don't really need to backup or format when reinstalling Ubuntu. Just select "Manual" in the partitioning step of Ubiquity, set the mount point of the partition from your previous install to /, and voila. It will clear out every folder except /home and leave all your personal files in place. I've done this several times and it works perfectly.
    Cool! Thanks for the tip! ...Although i rather do it the hard way...
    7$]-[!8@\|//\Rr!0|2!!!
    =D>
    My Little Ubuntu Blog!

Beans

Talking Re: HOWTO: Wii Remote in Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (8.10)

I would just say THANK YOU for this very nice guide. Every thing worked for me (8.10 installation from live cd)
    Im not the happy owner of another wii sensor bar so I tried to use 2 ir-led in series with one 100ohm resistor in the usb-port - but until now the to test candel-lighs give the best result.
    Thanks again - fantastic job!- And a very nice feeling to control your cursor from the sofa without a mouse...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Toshibawarrior: The problem is clearly with wminput. If I run it from the terminal it will say something like caught signal <some signal> and quit. I think it's a POSIX signal, but unfortunately I forgot to check the exact message, and now I do not have the machine handy.
    After resume I can just go and restart wimput without problems and it will continue doing its thing.

joesnose, Rhubarb: curious. if I run wminput -d with a directive to use IR (-c ir_ptr perhaps? can't recall right now) it works like one would expect. Press 1+2 to connect, press the power icon to disconnect. Repeat as often as you'd like.

Beans

Here's a question on a different tangent:

Any chance we can get one of the wiimote LEDs to blink every couple of seconds so we know its alive? I keep killing batteries with this thing because I forget it's on.

I don't imagine it would be too difficult given that the LED control capability already exist in the wmgui. I'm just not familiar enough with the code to cook up my own solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Trebaruna View Post
    Toshibawarrior: The problem is clearly with wminput. If I run it from the terminal it will say something like caught signal <some signal> and quit. I think it's a POSIX signal, but unfortunately I forgot to check the exact message, and now I do not have the machine handy.
    After resume I can just go and restart wimput without problems and it will continue doing its thing.
    So, the problem is solved then?...I really don't like either sleep or hibernate...they remind of Window$ somehow...lol!

Quote Originally Posted by mmalluck View Post
    Here's a question on a different tangent:

Any chance we can get one of the wiimote LEDs to blink every couple of seconds so we know its alive? I keep killing batteries with this thing because I forget it's on.

I don't imagine it would be too difficult given that the LED control capability already exist in the wmgui. I'm just not familiar enough with the code to cook up my own solution.
    I was looking to do the same thing...I'm not a programmer and I'm scared to death of breaking my perfectly working wiimoting experience.

What I do is hit the "OFF!" launcher I create don the taskbar ... That way the wiimote will lose it's signal and turn off. Try that. Make a really eye catching icon and add it to the launcher (explained on the tutorial) and that should work...Or you can also issue the commands via Terminal and then close the terminal when done...that should kill wminput too...

Check it out and let me know if that works for you. If not, then we'll need to dig into the code.
    7$]-[!8@\|//\Rr!0|2!!!
    =D>
    My Little Ubuntu Blog!

Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast