Thread: gksu error with Rhythmbox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

gksu error with Rhythmbox

Hi Folks,I'm pretty new to Linux and Ubuntu, so been trying to learn to run things from the command-line. I'm hoping someone can explain a warning message I got when trying to run Rhythmbox from the command-line.

Code:
    pete@pete-ubuntudesktop:~$ gksu rhythmbox

(rhythmbox:21133): Rhythmbox-WARNING **: Unable to grab media player keys: Could not get owner of name 'org.gnome.SettingsDaemon': no such name
    pete@pete-ubuntudesktop:~$
    Rhythmbox did run after this came up, but it opened differently to usual (ie, I had none of my music show up, radio streams etc.) I closed it down and opened it from Applications > Sound and Video > Rhythmbox and all was fine with the world again. Curious to know why using gksu command opens a different version (version is not the correct terminology I guess, but very tired and brane ain't workin' properly)

So why did it happen, and how do I get it to open correctly from command-line

Thanks
    Pete
    Last edited by Lunx; February 25th, 2009 at 02:32 PM. Reason: removed a typo that would have caused confusion
    People who never make mistakes are people who never make anything
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit,wisdom is knowing you don't put tomato in fruit salad
    New to Ubuntu? Check out this pocket guide and why not go Full Circle or take Command

Beans

Re: gksu error with Rhythmbox

Why are you using gksu to run rhythmbox

Beans

Normally there should be no need to run that music program as root.

You must know that by default gksu executes the program as user root.
    Possibly root hasn't set up any Rythmbox-Keys then.

Does this error occur also, when you leave gksu out?

Therion is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

In short you don't need the "gksu".

Just type in rhythmbox and you're good to go.

I imagine you got the funky version you did using gksu because the the "gk" is used to call up a graphical front-end to the "su", which is used to invoke root privileges.

Neither of which are needed for this.
    Last edited by Therion; February 26th, 2009 at 11:45 PM. Reason: misspelled rhythmbox! lol...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Therion View Post
    In short you don't need the "gksu".

Just type in rhythmbox and you're good to go.

I imagine you got the funky version you did using gksu because the the "gk" is used to call up a graphical front-end to the "su", which is used to invoke root privileges.

Neither of which are needed for this.
    Thanks for that (and thanks for everyones replies)

I realise I don't need to run it that way, just that I was playing around following a tutorial and figured I'd try it out as I didn't think it would be something that would do much damage. I'll run it in the normal fashion in future
    People who never make mistakes are people who never make anything
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit,wisdom is knowing you don't put tomato in fruit salad
    New to Ubuntu? Check out this pocket guide and why not go Full Circle or take Command