Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Toshiba NB 100 problem

Beans

Re: Toshiba NB 100 problem

Everything is working for me now, except for the microphone. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Hi all ...

I'm new here, and this is my first post.

I'm very glad to find some other users that are experiencing problems similar to mine with the combination of Toshiba NB 100 and Linux/Ubuntu.

I've gotten my NB 100 a week ago from my company. We've decided to get the Windows version for the obvious reasons (more RAM, BT and so on ...) and I wanted to install Ubuntu as second OS, as I thought "hey, they're shipping it with this OS, so it will work".

How stupid I was.

I had some calls to Toshiba hotline ... result: Very much support for Windows ... none for Linux.
    I asked them for the "Original" Distribution they ship with their Ubuntu-Version of the NB 100 ... but this is not available to the outside world.
    So I tried for myself.

First try:
    - Kubuntu Intrepid (I used to prefer KDE over Gnome with KDE 3, but after having some insight into KDE4 on Netbooks I will overthink that). Result: installation worked fine, but no WLAN running!

Second try:
    - Ubuntu-eee (non-Canonical offshoot of Intrepid, I think; Netbook Remix). Result: WLAN worked fine, but the OS did not recognize the Hard Discs, so no installation possible

Third try:
    - Ubuntu Hardy ... installation worked fine, but no WLAN.
    As I was desperating about this, I found THIS forum thread.
    But I seem to have lost the track: What do I actually need to get my WLAN running? The thing Cryptonome wrote (=> get this Netbook Remix edition, which desktop I do not very like) and add the toshiba-packages?
    I tried to add the toshiba-things (oem-config, toshiba-conf and so on) but I got lost in dependency chaos (there were always missing dependencies like "language-installer" or other)
    Or is it the way jaureguiramirez wrote? (download the madwifi package, reinstall it)?
    I tried this, too (I tried to guess the correct way, as I do not speak spanish), but it had no effect.

Or maybe it is a problem of Gnomes Network Manager applet? (I do not find Entries for my WLAN there).

Well, I seem to need help. I am a programmer myself, but still quite new to the Linux world, so this whole "compile the kernel"-stuff scares the **** out of me. Anyhow, I would be grateful to get a working (with all hardware options) NB100. Could someone please help me?

Maybe one could summarize all needed steps to get a working Linux on a NB 100 from steps like "download the ISO image here", "do this to make a bootable USB stick from it", "install to hard drive", "add these repositories" "get these packages" and finally "have fun with your WLAN"?

I'm completely lost and slightly frustrated ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi all,

For install ubuntu on this netbook, use Ubuntu Network Remix, read this page, all is explain for install it :

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UNR

After, add in your source.list the payson repository :

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/payson/ubuntu hardy main
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/payson/ubuntu hardy main

Then do :

sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install toshiba-payson-unr

And all work

For me, i'm testing PHC undervolt on it for the moment...
    My Website : www.atlas95.com !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by atlas95 View Post
    Hi all,

For install ubuntu on this netbook, use Ubuntu Network Remix, read this page, all is explain for install it :

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UNR

After, add in your source.list the payson repository :

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/payson/ubuntu hardy main
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/payson/ubuntu hardy main

Then do :

sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install toshiba-payson-unr

And all work

For me, i'm testing PHC undervolt on it for the moment...
    I Check again and no Bluettoth, if I run windows XP, tem reboot and get into Ubuntu I got Bluetooth, but if i Turno off the NB1010 and boot into ubuntu no bluetooth, is the same for you?

Thanks, I just try t find a solution.

Beans

So i got everything working, except for the front mic.

Beans
    Distro

The front mic work, plz verify your sound settings, enable in prefs all available option, and choose "Int DMic" in "Input Source" option tab.

Beans
    Distro

Hi,

How to remove this flood in Xorg.0.log ?

I think xorg.conf need some custom in screen or device part but i don't know what...

Could you help me? This make work the hard drive for nothing ...

cyril@cyril-netbook:~$ tail /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    (II) intel(0): Modeline "1024x600"x0.0 50.40 1024 1048 1184 1344 600 603 604 625 -hsync -vsync (37.5 kHz)
    (II) intel(0): EDID vendor "AUO", prod id 4546
    (II) intel(0): Printing DDC gathered Modelines:
    (II) intel(0): Modeline "1024x600"x0.0 50.40 1024 1048 1184 1344 600 603 604 625 -hsync -vsync (37.5 kHz)
    (II) intel(0): Printing DDC gathered Modelines:

thanks

Beans

I'm having a problem when I try to install toshiba-payson-unr

I getthis error

toshiba-payson-unr:
    Depends: topi but it is not installable
    Depends: toshiba-google-eula but it is not installable

does aanybody have any idea on how to solve this?
    Thanks for you help

Beans

Hi Everyone,

I notice that people are having varied results with the install of Ubuntu on the NB100 and wanted to tell how I was able to do this.

First of all, I purchased the Windows XP version of the NB100, but my end goal was to have a dual-boot system with both XP and Ubuntu. I really wanted it to have the "official" Ubuntu install as if I had purchased it with this, and also get the benefits of the LPIA kernel, so I went with the UNR 1.0.1 deployment package. I setup my system as follows:

1) Downloaded http://oem-images.canonical.com/unr/unr-1.0.1.iso and burned the ISO image to a DVD

2) Booted from this and installed on the NB100. Note that this installer is NOT like the standard Ubuntu installer and does not allow you to pick a partition. It will wipe all partitions and do it's own install.

3) Downloaded gparted boot image and created a bootable CD for this. Used this to shrink the Ubuntu partition to 10 GB and copy it to the 2nd partition. Created a partition with the rest (about 100GB) for Windows.

To make it more clear -- after I was done booting the gparted CD and modifying the partitions, I had a 100 GB partition labeled as NTFS first (on the left in the gparted graph) and my 10 GB Ubuntu partition on the right side.

Note that it is REQUIRED for the Toshiba XP restore disk that Windows be on the first partition. This move of Ubuntu to the new 2nd partition screws up grub, but we'll fix that later.

4) Now I booted from the XP restore CD that came in my NB100 box. At the first screen I chose "advanced" or something like that at the bottom which brought up a dialog box to let me choose to either wipe the disk (NO!!) or install on a partition. When I chose to install on an existing partition, it offered me the first partition (100GB). If you did not move Ubuntu to the 2nd partition with gparted, it will want to overwrite it.

5) After restoring XP to the large partition, when I rebooted, I got only a message saying "Error 17". This is grub complaining that it can't find the Ubuntu installation. Now you need a regular Ubuntu 8.04 or 8.10 installation boot CD. Boot into the live CD session, mount your Ubuntu partition, and edit the ./boot/grub/grub.conf file.

You need to make the following changes:
    a) for both Ubuntu boot images, root (hd0,0) needs to change to root (hd0,1)

b) for both boot images, set the kernel boot line to include "root=/dev/sda2"

c) add the line for Windows XP as follows:
    title Microsoft Windows XP Home
    root (hd0,0)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

d) set the timout parameter as appropriate for the number of seconds you want before booting in to the default OS

e) load the changes in to the MBR as follows:
    sudo grub
    root (hd0,1)
    setup (hd0)
    quit

Now grub is all set and you just need to adjust your ./etc/fstab file to change the mounting of the root partition from /dev/sda1 to /dev/sda2

Note I am using ./boot/grub/menu.lst and ./etc/fstab because these are the ones located in the Ubuntu partition, NOT the ones on the current root directory (those are the live CD files and won't help you!).

6) Now you should be able to reboot and get the grub menu. Test to be sure that you can boot into both XP and Ubuntu.

Finally, follow the directions in the earlier post about adding the payson sources to the source file and to the apt-get update; apt-get upgrade; apt-get install toshiba-payson-unr

Now you should be all set.

If anyone tries this and runs in to trouble, let me know and I can help or post my grub menu.lst file.

Good luck!

Eric

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sandman652001 View Post
    I'm having a problem when I try to install toshiba-payson-unr

I getthis error

toshiba-payson-unr:
    Depends: topi but it is not installable
    Depends: toshiba-google-eula but it is not installable

does aanybody have any idea on how to solve this?
    Thanks for you help
    Anybody have the same problem?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast