Thread: Where are the cool themes?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Where are the cool themes?

I may be showing my age age, but as an old user of sawfish, I had access to some really cool window manager themes. I don't mean airbrushed and spraypainted but ultimately the same themes. I mean real steampunk style or celtic-knot styles, you know "changed" windows managers. Themes that were actually different and changed the size and shape of the window manager.

Examples from themes.freshmeat.net could be:

hacksaw
    dirtchamber
    ebizorist
    DAE

These were themes where the window manager was actually changed, like WinAMP skins or even Windows Media Player skins.

I am not complaining, I am hoping I just haven't found them. I have been away from linux and gnome for quite some time, and in returning I am excited by ubuntu, but I feel something lacking in today's options where it can be themed up crazy and different like no one has ever seen type stuff.

I loved the Sawfish window's manager.

I hope someone knows what I am talking about and can help me find what I am looking for.

Thanks,
    Scot McPherson

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Where are the cool themes?

I don't know how crazy and different the themes get, but if you haven't already, I recommend you check out these two sites (assuming you're running gnome):

http://art.gnome.org/

http://gnome-look.org/

I hope they help you find what you're looking for.
    Laptop- Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz // nVidia QuadroFX 350M (7300LE) // 2048MB DDR2 667MHz // Lucid 10.04 x64 Alpha 1
    Desktop- Intel Core 2 Duo 3.3GHz // nVidia GTX 280 // 8192MB DDR2 1066MHz // Windows 7 RC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Ya, I have already visited these sites. There is some beautiful artwork and pictures, but I am looking to change up the look of my window manager, not just change the color of it.

Thanks though....

So still looking for ideas.
    Thanks,
    Scot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How about installing some window managers? Just go to: Main Menu > System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager, and search for window manager,
    like KDE or Xfce.
    After having installed one, it's just a matter of logging out, and changing the session, under options.
    Hope this helps.
    Ubuntu Release 12.04
    Kernel Linux 3.0.0-16-generic
    Pentium dual core 3.00GHz