Thread: Replacing OpenJDK with Sun Java

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Replacing OpenJDK with Sun Java

Ok, so I have this application, jDip, which is extremely glitchy and rather useless under OpenJDK. The thing randomly freezes up, and on top of that I get a 'Fatal Error' every time I try to save. So I tried installing Sun's Java, via apt-get, but 'java' still points to the OpenJDK version, and I can't find the Sun-Java command for the life of me. Posted in Absolute Beginner Talk, because it's not even really a bug, just me being stupid. I already wasted a couple hours on a solution to this, so I promise I'm only wasting your time as a last resort.

Thanks in advance for any help,
    -Calder Coalson

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Replacing OpenJDK with Sun Java

lol, I knew this would happen. The second I post, I find the answer. Anyway, for anyone encountering the same trouble, all you need to run is the following command:
    Code:
    sudo update-java-alternatives --set java-6-sun
    Thanks to Hibble for his helpful post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...54&postcount=6

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I would rather remove open-java! you don't need it once you install sun-java!
    Intel Atom Dual Core D525 @ 1.80GHz, 1,0GB RAM, Intel Graphics Media Accelator 3150
    Linux User # 478860 Ubuntu User # 24004

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by CalderCoalson View Post
    lol, I knew this would happen. The second I post, I find the answer. Anyway, for anyone encountering the same trouble, all you need to run is the following command:
    Code:
    sudo update-java-alternatives --set java-6-sun
    Thanks to Hibble for his helpful post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...54&postcount=6
    This piece of code has been very useful. So much trouble for changing to Sun's java version without updating with the command.

Quote Originally Posted by gandaran View Post
    I would rather remove open-java! you don't need it once you install sun-java!
    Although, I wouldn't be so sure about removing open java. In my case, without it, one application in particular (Brettspielwelt) doesn't load properly.

Thanks again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

From the Ubuntu Forums CoC

If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    This thread is so old that it is before Oracle bought Java, Java 6 has passed its end of life and there are much easier methods of installing Oracle Java 7.

Thread closed.
    The Community Java Wiki * The Community ATI Driver Wiki * Find what you need in the Ubuntu Community wikis

And seeing the terror on the faces of the people, QIII did speak to them, saying "Fear not the Terminal, for it is a road both swift and secure to the Great Mysteries of Linux without passing through the dangers of The Land of Ten Thousand Competing Desktop Environments."