Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Distribution Release: Fedora 10

Beans

Re: Distribution Release: Fedora 10

Just gave it a quick test run. Overall, quite impressive. Fedora's even-numbered releases really do seem to be better. Zod was decent, Moonshine was a disastrous failure, Werewolf was great, Sulfur was pathetic, and now Cambridge is pretty good. I was impressed by the boot speed and overall stablity of the system. Will it stay on my box? No, but I'll keep the disk around to play with.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I downloaded the KDE4 spin of Fedora 10. I think it's absolutely fantastic. I have a few minor issues, but they're not bugs. I'm just not quite used to RPM-based distros.

Nevertheless, Cambridge exceeded my expectations. Works with PulseAudio in a KDE environment? Check. Graphics drivers work better with my card? Check. Xine and GStreamer working out of the box? Check, check. Even games with SDL audio work out of the box.

And for some odd reason, KDE just feels so much more stable on this instead of Kubuntu. They've also backported several of 4.2's usability features into it, so customization feels at least a bit more natural.

Once I find a good tutorial for prepping 4.2 SVN on this thing, it'll be perfect for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Recently I bought a Logitech Internet 1500 Desktop wireless mouse / keyboard combo and was amazed to discover that all bar one of the media keys along the top of the keyboard were automatically configured by Fedora 10. Even the back/forward keys on the mouse were recognised for back/forward page navigation in Firefox. 8)

Great stuff.
    HP dc7600 small form factor| Pentium D 3.4Ghz | 2.5Gb Ram | 250Gb HDD
    Uubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Hidden!

Ok... I used it for a week. Here's my thoughts:

First, Wow. What an awesome release. So polished and beautiful at every step. You don't have to do any tweaking at all to be very, very happy with your OS. Just everything about it is ... perfect.

On the minus side, and the reason it's no longer installed:

1. I don't like to let things be and this is not a tweakers distro. Go ahead, try and remove the release notes. That's right. Trying to remove the release notes will essentially uninstall your OS. Now, many people will say "rn's are so small, who cares?" and they're right. Except for people like me, who do care. I want to be given the maximum amount of flexibility, and when you make your entire os dependent upon rn's I can read online or not at all... well, that's just extreme d'chebaggery as far as I'm concerned.

Oh and that's just the most blatant example. There are many, many more. It is more like XP than any other distro I've tried... in terms of what you can and can't do to it without risking breakage. Then again, it's also most like Xp in terms of a beautiful and consistant experience than any other distro I've tried. Coincidence?

2. There is no two. That's it. It is amazing and beautful and not customizable enough for me. That being said, it blows away Ubuntu 8.1 which I also installed, so don't think this is a RPM versus DEB thing. Ubuntu is also much less customizable than Debian, though much moreso than Fedora. But Fedora's out of the box experience is so much better than Ubuntu that for people who aren't going to customize, I'd probably recommend Fedora.

But now I am happily back in Lenny. It's good to be home.
    A towel is about the most massively useful thing for fixing computers. Use it to muffle your screams when you mess up, or to dry your tears if it's broken beyond repair. When all else fails, use it to cover up the useless machine, then walk away.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Another Fedora 10 hardware success story....

I've just installed a wireless network card in my pc, one of these: http://www.edimax.co.uk/en/produce_d...id=1&pl2_id=44

It works perfectly in Fedora 10. All I had to do was select the network and enter the WPA key. Very happy indeed! 8)
    HP dc7600 small form factor| Pentium D 3.4Ghz | 2.5Gb Ram | 250Gb HDD
    Uubuntu 12.04

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456