Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: troubles with remote desktop XP into Ubuntu

Beans

Re: troubles with remote desktop XP into Ubuntu

only suggestion I have is to check the subnet and gateway on the laptop and compare it to the ubuntu machine and the router just to make sure everything matches.
    Debian Testing(64bit) + XFCE4 AM2 5200+ ATI Radeon HD4350, 4gig RAM,320Gig and 750gig HDs

what's the difference between an answer and a solution? An answer is what they want to hear, a solution is what they don't want to hear

@ hali : yes, the mask/gateway are a match for all the machines. and, since i can see two others computers (oddly, not the ubuntu desktop) in the "my network neighborhood", i believe that the laptop sees the machines fine.

i'm just confounded by no obvious reason for the ping-ing to be blocked, and it is.

i'm almost certain that there'd be no way to remote desktop if my laptop refuses ping, how would the initial handshake even be accepted to start the process? interestingly, when i tried to enable windows firewall - figuring maybe if i enable it i could reset whatever is going on - it errored out saying windows firewall could NOT be started. maybe some component is missing.
    Last edited by ijason; November 24th, 2008 at 07:39 PM.

Beans

And a major downside to Windows is that you probably are not going to fix Windows Firewall without reinstalling the OS.

yeah, that's the habitual solution when windows eventually goes south on you. if it weren't for the last few programs i use refusing to port over i'd be done with windows et all.

appreciate your help though. i'll be reinstalling windows and taking a new attempt at dual booting ubuntu/XP this time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

this has worked more times then not in winders...try uninstalling your network adapter the rebooting and let windows reinstall it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12