Re: python question

Quote Originally Posted by flyingsliverfin View Post
    I really don't like C (syntax)
    pascal then...it was made for teaching and has a more BASIC syntax

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pmasiar View Post
    tiachopvutru, thanks for promoting my wiki
    Well, I have been using your wiki ever since I started learning Python. (This is to the OP as well...) In fact, **** Baldwin's tutorial was the first tutorial of the subject that I learned (but I wish it covered more than just string, list, tuple, and dictionary). I kinda regret not following the wiki about reading the books in that order, though. I was obsessed with finding one single book that goes into a lot of details and settled on Learning Python 3rd Edition right after (as my second tutorial on the subject). I might have saved more time if I followed your order of books and tutorials and then used Learning Python for supplement details.

I suppose I was quite desperate to get done with Python (syntax) and got on with programming, but now that I'm here, I find it more challenging on finding where to head next. Python's "battery included" model means that I need a clear goal of what I want to do (which I don't have) in order to do something (so I'm stuck) because each module does its own thing. That's also why I made a thread a while back asking for some general most widely-used modules.

Well, I suppose my experience that the OP could learn from (if it helps at all)...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Thanks again for feedback about order of learning - Would you mind if I used your comment on my wiki?

You are 100% right that you need some goals (what to code) when learning language - that's why I included so many training tasks. They are trivial for experienced programmer - so exactly right for a beginner

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

ok, im going to check out your wiki soon, but i found this online book at

http://www.ibiblio.org/g2swap/byteof...ead/index.html

it seems to be pretty thorough.

when you go about 10-14 pages forward
    (link: http://www.ibiblio.org/g2swap/byteof...an-editor.html)

it tells me about choosing an editor. I want to learn VIM, but can't seem to figure it our very much. I was wondering, could I just use text editor???

I don't want to think about learning another language right now (in reply to jimi_hendrix), but I made a plan to learn JAVA after I finish python. (I think theres also a java class in highschool)

Beans

I don't want to think about learning another language right now (in reply to jimi_hendrix), but I made a plan to learn JAVA after I finish python. (I think theres also a java class in highschool)
    i never said you had to learn another language

if python is what you like then thats good...i personally hate whitespace langauges like python

i just mentioned pascal because its more BASIC like and you have experience with some form of BASIC...you wont find many main stream pascal things but it is still a nice language

i mentioned C# because thats what i learned at 13 and you asked if you should be confused at age 12...

(personal opinion- C# > JAVA...especially when the names of the objects make sense (panes?) and a few other quarks...why does it have to be a microsoft langauge though and if you know one you can program in the other)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pmasiar View Post
    Thanks again for feedback about order of learning - Would you mind if I used your comment on my wiki?
    Please feel free to.

it tells me about choosing an editor. I want to learn VIM, but can't seem to figure it our very much. I was wondering, could I just use text editor???
    Yes. If Laroza was still here, she would say that gedit (the text editor in your Ubuntu installation) with its plugins provides a powerful editor and is quite sufficient for writing code. It has been what I used ever since I started learning.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by tiachopvutru View Post
    Please feel free to.

Yes. If Laroza was still here, she would say that gedit (the text editor in your Ubuntu installation) with its plugins provides a powerful editor and is quite sufficient for writing code. It has been what I used ever since I started learning.
    Vim is hard to learn but you will save a LOT of time once you get used to it.:w

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

in reply to tiachopvutru, I think I will use text editor, but how do i install the plugins, or are they already installed? I wrote a tiny program in it, savd and re-opened. the text was already colored for me (leading me to think that the plugins are already there)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

ok, im going to check out your wiki soon, but i found this online book at

http://www.ibiblio.org/g2swap/byteof...ead/index.html

it seems to be pretty thorough.

when you go about 10-14 pages forward
    (link: http://www.ibiblio.org/g2swap/byteof...an-editor.html)

I was opening my mouth to recommend that tutorial as a concise but complete start to the language.

I was also opening my mouth to recommend gedit--it's one thing to learn a programming language, and another to learn vim/emacs, and these should not be combined. For plugins, just go to Edit->Preferences->Plugins (Tab) and check/uncheck what you want. Note that some of them require the "Bottom Pane" to be open (View menu)

Do yourself a favor, and don't learn a second language until you think you've really got a good grasp of Python. If you're wondering whether you do or not, you don't.

Welcome to the wildly wonderful world of programming!
    Blog
    #!
    Chan eil mi a Gàidhlig agam...pero si hablo español: soy catracho.
    Proud to be a Browncoat!

Beans

In addition to the plugins, also inside Preference, click on the Editor tab. In there, set Tab width to 4, and check "Insert spaces instead of tabs," so now whenever you press Tab, it inserts 4 spaces instead.

In Python, it's never recommended to mix both tabs and spaces for indentation, so this is for that purpose. 4 spaces for each indent is sort of a standard style.

As for plugins, several of them are already there, which you can find and enable if you follow fiddler's instruction. Those should be sufficient for your need, but if you want even more plugin, you can install the package "gedit-plugins" in Synaptic.

There are even more if you google for other third-party plugins, but you have to install them manually.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast