Thread: Startup script

Beans
    Hidden!

Startup script

I have an application - Navit - that I try to start in fullscreen.
    My script looks like:

navit &
    sleep 2
    wmctrl -a Navit -b add,fullscreen

When I execute the script from a terminal window it works OK but when I specify that the same script should execute as a startup script (xfe Settings Manager/Autostarted Apps) it will not give me a full screen.
    Why is there a difference in executing a script from terminal window or as a startup script ?
    I have Xubuntu 8.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Startup script

My first guess would be that your script gets run before the window manager starts. Is your script the last thing that gets run?

Beans
    Hidden!

Sounds like a probable cause ... how can I force the startup script to execute after window manager

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I've got a similar problem, since I also manually added a few entriesto the Autostart Apps, with commands that should invoke scripts in my home folder.

Not one of them really works - not even the conky one, which has a sleep period in it:

#!/bin/bash
    sleep 10 && conky;

where am I going wrong?

Also, in my home folder, I can see a file with the same name as that script, but ending with a ".sh~"

Any help would be greatly appretiated.

Beans

You can create a file named .xsession in your $HOME and invoke commands to be run:
    Here is mine, for example:
    Code:
    rm .xsession-errors
    (
            sleep 19;
            conky
    )&
    gnome-session
    As you can see, I invoke gnome-session. You'll probably want to invoke xfce-session.
    The part in (..) invokes conky, but is delayed by 19 seconds; --this allows compiz (within gnome-session) to start before conky, else (on my computer at least) conky will be displayed on only one desktop.
    It's important to add a & after (..) to actually start gnome-session without waiting the delayed conky.
    ! But do not add & after the last command (gnome-session) !

Hope this helps a bit
    Last edited by tukuyomi; March 22nd, 2009 at 12:30 PM.