Thread: hd3850 flickering video

Beans

hd3850 flickering video

Hello!

It's been a while since I droped my last post here -- with everything working you can't really complain, can you?

I do have one problem now, though. In my desktop computer I've got an ATI/AMD HD3850 (Hd 3850) video card. I installed the latest fglrx drivers using the Ubunut-stock-method that comes with ubuntu 8.10.

When watching video, I get horrible flickering using compiz and less so when de-activating it. But there is still a considerable flickering (or horizontal lines when the camera moves fast for example) in videos which used to display just fine on my notebook.

Thanks for your help
    su

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: hd3850 flickering video

I experience the same thing with the HD 3650. I think the problem is the Xv driver and how compiz does DRI, but I just have a vague understanding of these issues. The only workaround I have found is to use X11 as the output driver for mplayer video (-vo x11). The downside is that, at least on my machine, the X11 driver isn't fast enough to show full screen video. Perhaps there is a way to configure your favorite video player to disable the desktop effects when playing in full screen mode? I'll tune in here and see if anyone has any suggestions.

Beans

I Don't know if will help. I have a HP ze5700 that the screen would flicker in certain conditions like Autum screen saver and other 3D graphics. I believe in not overlooking the simple things. after finding all the hidden screws I disassembled case around LCD. unplugged and reconnected the cable to the LCD and the problem stopped for about a month. I did the same and haven't had that problem since. Been 6 months now. hope this helps. Very small connection problems can cause big headaches, and are usually very easy to fix.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gatman3 View Post
    I experience the same thing with the HD 3650. I think the problem is the Xv driver and how compiz does DRI, but I just have a vague understanding of these issues. The only workaround I have found is to use X11 as the output driver for mplayer video (-vo x11). The downside is that, at least on my machine, the X11 driver isn't fast enough to show full screen video. Perhaps there is a way to configure your favorite video player to disable the desktop effects when playing in full screen mode? I'll tune in here and see if anyone has any suggestions.
    As I said, I'm not using compiz, but video playback still isn't perfect. mplayer -vo x11 doesn't work in fullscreen mode for me.

gatman3, thanks for your tip. I tried an analogous cable, but the problem still exists. And it only exists in Linux, I have to say.

Anyone tried the radeonhd drivers for 3850-ish cards yet?

su

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

You might also try the newer pre-released fglrx driver. To enable it, go into synaptic, find Setting->Repositories->Updates and click Pre-released updates. Then click Reload and see if there is a newer fglrx than the one you are using, and try installing it and see if it helps.