Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] Can't delete podcasts nano ipod

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Can't delete podcasts nano ipod

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney9 View Post
    Well I got Rockbox installed but I can not copy files or create folders. If I right click on the desktop icon and select properties it says under Permissions " The Permissions of "RODNEYSIPOD" could not be dertimed "

I did try ~$ sudo chown $USER:$USER /media/RODNEYSIPOD
    $ sudo chmod -R 750 /media/RODNEYSIPOD
    from the hints http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=982560

But still can not copy.

What is going on ?
    Hey, sorry i can't help today. I don't have any experience with your situation, but I will try to look at these things tomorrow. Nice work getting Rockbox installed. If we can figure out this permissions problem, you'll find it enhances your Nano greatly. Sorry things aren't running as smoothly as you'd like.

Quickly, I looked up "ubuntu permission could not be determined" in google and found a few links. Here's one about permissions on an external HD, not sure it applies to your situation. Like I said I'll try to look again tomorrow. Good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Thanks for your help.

It is awfully strange though, today I plugged it in , it auto mounted and let me copy a folder to it, but when I tried a second file it said "Error opening file '/media/RODNEYSIPOD/cabbiev2.cfg': Read-only file system"
    I tried unmounted and unplugging then plugging back in , auto mount, but still would not let me copy.

When I use $ sudo chown -R $rodney. /media/RODNEYSIPOD

I get many, many lines saying similar to this one -

chown: changing group of `/media/RODNEYSIPOD': Read-only
    file system

but does not fix my problem.

Am I correct in thinking this "Read-only file system" is my problem.

Rodney.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    Before proceeding with anything else, you need to check the file system. In MS Windows, you would have used the venerable "chkdsk a: /f", in linux there is the dosfsck program that allows to check and repair fat volumes. Only continue troubleshooting after you have made sure that the file system is healthy.
    from vanadium http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...24#post6276824 Post No.6

I used - dosfsck -a /dev/sdd2

and now it is worked perfectly.

Thankyou Everybody for your ideas and help.

Rodney

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Excellent! Congratulations and nice work. I was just coming in to check on things and start looking for solutions. Please mark this thread as [SOLVED] using the option in 'Thread tools' on the upper right.

I think you'll find Rockbox enhances your Nano quite a bit. I'll give you some unsolicited ideas here. To play all your music (lets assume all your music is in a folder called 'Music'), click and hold down the select button while the Music folder is highlighted and choose one of the 'enter folder as playlist' options. This will queue up all the songs in your Music folder. This may sound obvious, but it took me awhile to figure out I use this as a replacement for Apples 'play all' and prefer this method over messing with the Database feature.

The other thing is you can now play movies/film on your nano. The trick is the video needs to be an mpeg, and it needs to be converted to a very specific size to play. I have worked out a way to convert video to work specifically for the Nano. First, you must install mencoder, if you haven't already. You may also need ffmpeg. I cannot remember, but if you have installed all the codecs for internet and movie viewing, you likely already have it.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install mencoder
    Then, run this command and replace "/path/to/your/old_video.extention" and "/path/to/your/new_video.mpeg" with the appropriate paths.
    Code:
    mencoder "/path/to/your/old_video.extension/" -o "/path/to/your/new_video.mpeg" -of mpeg -oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=mp2:abitrate=192 -af resample=44100:0:0 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=100 -vf scale,harddup -ofps 25 -zoom -xy 176
    Note this command is for converting different file types (ie: .avi files) into mpegs as well as reformatting existing mpegs for playing on your Nano. If you find the quality of the new video is too small, replace the value after "vbitrate=100" to a higher number than 100. Just remember the higher that number, the larger the final filesize will be.

Lastly, you can now help improve your battery life by dimming the backlight. Adjust through "Settings> GeneralSettings> Display> LCDSettings> Brightness". I usually keep mine between 4 and 6. Why Apple didn't include this kind of functionality is beyond me. I suspect it was to drive people to their more expensive models.

Okay, enough unsolicited blathering. I'm just trying to make up for the fact that I didn't know how to fix your original problem Really though, if you have any more questions about Rockbox on the Nano, don't hesitate to private message me. I've been working with Rockbox on Nano for about 2 years now and, although the initial transition can take getting used to, the payoffs are huge.

And again, nice work. You're obviously a very self-reliant person
    Last edited by DirtDawg; November 30th, 2008 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Dear god I'm a blabber.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12