Thread: apt-mirror problem 8.10

Beans

apt-mirror problem 8.10

Trying to setup a local mirror for 8.10. My /etc/apt/mirror.list is very simple:

Code:
    deb http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu intrepid main restricted universe multiverse
    deb http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu intrepid-updates main restricted universe multiverse
    deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu intrepid-security main restricted universe multiverse

clean http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
    When I run sudo apt-mirror I get:

Code:
    nick@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-mirror
    Downloading 32 index files using 20 threads...
    Begin time: Mon Nov 24 09:02:03 2008
    [20]... [19]... [18]... [17]... [16]... [15]... [14]... [13]... [12]... [11]... [10]... [9]... [8]... [7]... [6]... [5]... [4]... [3]... [2]... [1]... [0]... 
    End time: Mon Nov 24 09:02:03 2008

Proceed indexes: [Psh: cannot open au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu//dists/intrepid/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz: No such file
    apt-mirror: can't open index in proceed_index_gz at /usr/bin/apt-mirror line 390.
    I thought the problem might be due to the double slash occurring in the pathname, so I edited apt-mirror and changed all occurrences of "/dist/" to "dist/", but that gave me the same error with no double-slash in the pathname.

I can go to http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...n/binary-i386/ in Firefox and download Packages.gz no problem. I also tried changing au.archive.ubuntu.com to archive.ubuntu.com to see if the problem was related to the mirror I was using, but the problem remained the same.

Any suggestion on what is causing this error?

Nick

ps. Should the double-slash be showing up in the pathname being spat out by the error msg?

Beans

Re: apt-mirror problem 8.10

Hi,

Same problem... No issues?

Regards,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Proceed indexes: [Psh: cannot open au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu//dists/intrepid/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz: No such file

You have two /'s...that might be messing you up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

1. Edit the apt-mirror script as admin
    Code:
    sudo leafpad /usr/bin/apt-mirror
    2. goto line 387
    3. see this line :
    Code:
        system("gunzip < $path/$index.gz > $path/$index");
    4. change it to this :
    Code:
        system("gunzip < $path$index.gz > $path/$index");
    5. save it and try again.
    Fear is the mindkiller....
    The little death that obliterates...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Smile Re: apt-mirror problem 8.10 [SOLVED]

Airtonix,

Thanks for that reply.
    I was setting up a local mirror (studying for the Ubuntu Certified Professional test right now) and I got the same error message.

With your help I was able to fix the problem which occured on Jaunty btw.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

Arrow Re: apt-mirror problem 8.10

Please excuse the necro...

I experienced the exact same problem and only found 4 possible solutions by trawling through various forums including this one, none of which helped.

After much ado and loss of precious hair I found the problem and it was obvious once I had it.

The public mirror I use to syncronise from (ftp://ftp.is.co.za/mirror/ftp.ubuntu.com/ ) restricts the number of connections from any given IP which means any connections after X get denied.

Reducing my threads to "5" solved the problem!

As this is an Ubuntu forum I trust posting it here saves many a stressful evening

Michael

Beans

Thanks everyone. The problem here wasn't solely to do with what yours turned out to be, but the reduction to 5 threads seemed sensible, so that's what I did. Also, I removed the forward slash from that one line in the apt-mirror executable like you said. I also had a permissions issue after running a cron job to update and I had to "chown apt-mirror" to those files, and somewhere along the line while experimenting I'd uncommented the "<defaultarch>" line in the mirrors.list; that threw up an error that "binary-" couldn't be found in the repos! That's because I am mirroring architectures other than the one I'm using on the server that holds the mirrors.

A few days ago, none of that would have made sense to me, but I'm very happy now that my mirrors are updating. Yay! Just had to share the joy.
    Last edited by Nopposan; March 2nd, 2013 at 12:02 AM. Reason: correction

Beans
    Hidden!

Old thread relating to old release closed.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog