Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] No Backlight after Suspend - Intrepid

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

[SOLVED] No Backlight after Suspend - Intrepid

Hi,

I've just installed Intrepid on my Sony VAIO VGN-T37GP and I'm having trouble when waking up from suspend.

The symptoms are that when I wake up the machine from suspend, the backlight isn't turned on to the LCD screen. Everything is working - it's just that the screen is super dark, and pressing the brightness control keys makes barely any difference (resuming from Hibernate works perfectly).

It seems to me to be very similar to this bug, but the suggestions there of fiddling with 'vbetool post' didn't bring the backlight up.

I'm happy for any suggestions of what to try.

Hardware:
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)
    Kernel:
    Linux vaio-laptop 2.6.27-7-generic #1 SMP Tue Nov 4 19:33:20 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

Thanks,

Daniel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: No Backlight after Suspend - Intrepid

I've been playing around, and it seems that running the /etc/acpi/sleep.sh script works as expected! The machine sleeps and then upon resume the screen works well (but it doesn't ask for a password). However either closing the lid (gnome-power-manager is set to suspend at this case) or selecting 'suspend' from the 'Shutdown the computer' dialog (comes up after pressing the power button) still causes the no backlight problem.

So is there a way to change the scripts called by the gnome tools?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi - I have the same problem... I'm using Intrepid on a Sony VGN-B3VP - if anyone has any advice, would be very grateful.

Cheers

Luke

Beans

same problem here, it's particularly annoying because it worked like a (good) dream in hardy.

I as well have a sony laptop pcg-r505, weird eh?

Linux callisto 2.6.27-10-generic #1 SMP Fri Nov 21 12:00:22 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
    \00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82830 CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller] (rev 04)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 82830 CGC [Chipset Graphics Controller]

lshal | grep system.hardware
    system.hardware.primary_video.product = 13687 (0x3577) (int)
    system.hardware.primary_video.vendor = 32902 (0x8086) (int)
    system.hardware.product = 'PCG-R505GCK(UC)' (string)
    system.hardware.serial = 'xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxx' (string)
    system.hardware.uuid = 'xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx' (string)
    system.hardware.vendor = 'Sony Corporation' (string)
    system.hardware.version = 'R3246791' (string)
    Last edited by khaije1; December 3rd, 2008 at 12:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Has any tried just running /etc/acpi/sleep.sh? Or having a look at the launchpad bug which seems to be similar to see if there's anything there that helps?

I still haven't got any further

Beans

/etc/acpi/sleep.sh didn't work for me. same skit.

i tried all three pm backends: kernel, uswsusp, tuxonice.

Tuxonice/suspend2 didn't work for me at all, i think perhaps it didn't install properly. In the case of kernel and uswsusp they were very much the same results except that uswsusp is slower, that is to say hbernate/resume works and suspend/resume fails.

I'm tried using different variations of the pm quirks found here but have yet to notice a positive difference as a result.

This would seem to be a widespread regression.
    similar thread: #1 #2

meh.

Beans

not sure if this is already clear but suspend still works great using the hardy kernel. Because i did a dist-upgrade from hardy -> intrepid i still have 2.6.24-21-generic (hardy's last kernel) selectable.

When i loaded 2.6.24-21-generic and attempt suspend it works like a charm. To me this just confirms that it's not a user-space utility problem, or probably even a config issue. It's likely that this problem is due to a kernel regression.

The next thing I may try is switching the pm backend to use the uswsusp from debian's sid. Ha, or maybe i'll just use the hardy kernel. My impression so far is intrepid is among the worst ubuntu releases yet. The hardy series was probably the strongest.
    Last edited by khaije1; December 5th, 2008 at 06:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've noticed that my system (Vaio VGN-T37GP) is also quite 'laggy' when it comes to doing ACPI-type things. For example changing the brightness using the Fn+F5/6 combination often takes a while to come into effect, and it normally takes a few seconds between plugging/unplugging the power, and Gnome Power Manager recognising this change in status.

On my Dell Vostro 1500 Laptop, this is almost instantaneous (though it is also a much faster laptop).

I wonder if these things are related.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by funkydan2 View Post
    Hi,

I've just installed Intrepid on my Sony VAIO VGN-T37GP and I'm having trouble when waking up from suspend.

The symptoms are that when I wake up the machine from suspend, the backlight isn't turned on to the LCD screen. Everything is working - it's just that the screen is super dark, and pressing the brightness control keys makes barely any difference (resuming from Hibernate works perfectly).

It seems to me to be very similar to this bug, but the suggestions there of fiddling with 'vbetool post' didn't bring the backlight up.

I'm happy for any suggestions of what to try.

Hardware:
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)
    Kernel:
    Linux vaio-laptop 2.6.27-7-generic #1 SMP Tue Nov 4 19:33:20 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

Thanks,

Daniel
    Hi, it may not be relevant, but under Hardy (Acer laptop, AMD processor), I had no suspend (or more accurately no resume). I finally got suspend working by going to /usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux/hal-system-power-suspend-linux and changing the QUIRKS line to QUIRKS="--quirk-s3-bios --quirk-s3-mode --quirk-dpms-suspend --quirk-dpms-on --quirk-vbestate-restore --quirk-vbemode-restore --quirk-vga-mode3 --quirk-vbe-post --quirk-reset-brightness" (ie enabling all quirks except --quirk-radeon-off).

it works, but I don't know why, or which bit was critical: it ain't bust so I'm not trying to fix it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

owend - you are a champion!

This is what I did.

I had a look at /usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux/hal-system-power-suspend-linux and worked out that with my graphics card some quirks were already being enabled, but not all. Thus to the 'non NEW_INTEL, nVidia, ATI' section of the script, I enabled the S3_BIOS, S3_MODE, and DPMS_SUSPEND quirks, so that my hal-systempower-suspend-linux script now looks like this:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

alarm_not_supported() {
    	echo org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement.AlarmNotSupported >&2
    	echo Waking the system up is not supported >&2
    	exit 1
    }

unsupported() {
    	echo org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement.NotSupported >&2
    	echo No suspend method found >&2
    	exit 1
    }

read seconds_to_sleep

# on some video drivers we must ignore video quirks, since they break
    # on them; this particularly affects Intel >= 915G and the proprietary
    # nvidia and fglrx drivers.
    if [ -d /sys/module/i915 ]; then
        # the i915 kmod also drives the i830 and i855 chips nowadays, but they
        # still need quirks on at least Linux 2.6.24.
        PRODID=`hal-get-property --udi $HAL_PROP_INFO_UDI --key system.hardware.primary_video.product`
        if [ "$PRODID" != 13696 ] && [ "$PRODID" != 13698 ] && \
            [ "$PRODID" != 13687 ]; then
            NEW_INTEL=1
        fi
    fi

if [ "$NEW_INTEL" ] || [ -d /sys/module/nvidia ] || [ -d /sys/module/fglrx ];
    then
        HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_S3_BIOS=false
        HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_S3_MODE=false
        HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_DPMS_SUSPEND=false
        HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_DPMS_ON=false
        HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_VBESTATE_RESTORE=false
        HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_VBEMODE_RESTORE=false
        HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_VGA_MODE_3=false
        HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_VBE_POST=false
        HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_RADEON_OFF=false
        HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_RESET_BRIGHTNESS=false
    # if we do not have any explicit quirks in the hal FDIs, enable a few by
    # default which work around kernel problems and are necessary with most older
    # video drivers
    elif ! env | grep -q HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK; then
        HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_S3_BIOS=true #added by DS
        HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_S3_MODE=true #added by DS
        HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_DPMS_SUSPEND=true #was false
        HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_DPMS_ON=true
        HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_VBESTATE_RESTORE=true
        HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_VBEMODE_RESTORE=true
        HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_VGA_MODE_3=true
        HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_VBE_POST=true
        HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_RESET_BRIGHTNESS=true
    fi

# Make a suitable command line argument so that the tools can do the correct
    # quirks for video resume.
    # Passing the quirks to the tool allows the tool to not depend on HAL for data.
    QUIRKS=""
    [ "$HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_S3_BIOS" = "true" ] && QUIRKS="$QUIRKS --quirk-s3-bios"
    [ "$HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_S3_MODE" = "true" ] && QUIRKS="$QUIRKS --quirk-s3-mode"
    [ "$HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_DPMS_SUSPEND" = "true" ] && QUIRKS="$QUIRKS --quirk-dpms-suspend"
    [ "$HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_DPMS_ON" = "true" ] && QUIRKS="$QUIRKS --quirk-dpms-on"
    [ "$HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_VBESTATE_RESTORE" = "true" ] && QUIRKS="$QUIRKS --quirk-vbestate-restore"
    [ "$HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_VBEMODE_RESTORE" = "true" ] && QUIRKS="$QUIRKS --quirk-vbemode-restore"
    [ "$HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_VGA_MODE_3" = "true" ] && QUIRKS="$QUIRKS --quirk-vga-mode3"
    [ "$HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_VBE_POST" = "true" ] && QUIRKS="$QUIRKS --quirk-vbe-post"
    [ "$HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_RADEON_OFF" = "true" ] && QUIRKS="$QUIRKS --quirk-radeon-off"
    [ "$HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_RESET_BRIGHTNESS" = "true" ] && QUIRKS="$QUIRKS --quirk-reset-brightness"
    [ "$HAL_PROP_POWER_MANAGEMENT_QUIRK_NONE" = "true" ] && QUIRKS="$QUIRKS --quirk-none"

# Urh. Do any BIOSen handle this correctly?
    if [ $seconds_to_sleep != "0" ] ; then
    	alarm_not_supported
    fi

# We only support pm-utils
    if [ -x "/usr/sbin/pm-suspend" ] ; then
    	/usr/sbin/pm-suspend $QUIRKS
    	RET=$?
    else
    	# TODO: add support
    	unsupported
    fi

# Refresh devices as a resume can do funny things
    for type in button battery ac_adapter
    do
    	devices=`hal-find-by-capability --capability $type`
    	for device in $devices
    	do
    		dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.Hal \
    			  $device org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Rescan
    	done
    done

exit $RET
    (In the middle there are three lines that I've changed.)

I'll probably fiddle with this a little more over the next few days to see which of the quirks was the one that was needed, but for now, I'm just stocked that I've got suspend working!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast