Page 1 of 145 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: nVidia latest Drivers - How to install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Smile nVidia latest Drivers - How to install

Edit September 1 2010: Latest nVidia 256.xx (STABLE) 256.53 Drivers: 32 Bit . 64 Bit

Edit September 9 2010: Latest nVidia 260.xx (BETA) 260.19.04 Drivers: 32 Bit . 64 Bit

Edit March 18 2010: Latest nVidia 195.xx OpenGL 3.3 (STABLE) 195.36.07.03 Drivers: 32 Bit . 64 Bit

How to install nVidia drivers in Ubuntu:

It is very easy and you can do it by just following this steps. Remember to uninstall any previous version! If you are using the proprietary hardware tool in Ubuntu you should disable the current driver first and then restart your computer before you start. THIS IS MANDATORY!

Note: Follow this instructions at your own risk

1) Download the driver (for example in your desktop) - Get the pkg1, Right Click, Save As...

2) Enter in a real terminal mode: CONTROL + ALT + F1, then login (don't do it now as you wouldn't be able to keep reading)

3) Go to your desktop:
    Code:
    cd Desktop
    4) Turn off X.org/GDM (Gnome Display Manager):
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    5) Run the installer:
    Code:
    sudo sh ./Nxxx.run
    (If you hit TAB after the first N the rest of the filename will automatically appear. Remember, Linux is case sensitive)

6) Choose x.org automatic configuration at the last step inside the installation program.

7) Then restart your computer
    Code:
    sudo reboot
    8) Enjoy!

Important note: In some instances, after a kernel upgrade you won't be able to load x.org. "sdennie" made a very useful post where explains how to create a script that will automatically install the drivers when your kernel is upgraded. Have a look here

ps: If anything goes wrong, you can easily uninstall this drivers by following the same steps and when running the installer type:
    Code:
    sudo sh ./Nxxx --uninstall
    or
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-uninstall
    ps2: This NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release supports GeForce 6xxx and newer NVIDIA GPUs, GeForce4 and older GPUs are supported through the 96.43.xx and 71.86.xx NVIDIA legacy graphics drivers. GeForce FX GPUs are supported through the 173.14.xx NVIDIA legacy graphics drivers.

If you want to have an automated procedure, that keeps you updated with the latest version, you can use the X-Updates.

HERE

Legacy Drivers

GeForce 5 series GPUs 173.14.25 32 bits , 64 bits

GeForce 2 through GeForce 4 series 96.43.16 32 bits , 64 bits

Riva TNT, TNT2, GeForce, and some GeForce 2 71.86.13 32 bits , 64 bits

note: Legacy drivers are being updated as well. (Latest update: February 15, 2010)

Good luck
    Last edited by Kosimo; September 24th, 2010 at 08:32 PM. Reason: 260.19.04 Beta released

Beans

Re: nVidia 180.06 Rocks!

What card are you using? How was 2D performance affected?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Pogeymanz View Post
    What card are you using? How was 2D performance affected?
    GeForce 8400m GT 128MB
    2D performance has a big boost compared to 177.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kosimo View Post
    GeForce 8400m GT 128MB
    2D performance has a big boost compared to 177.
    Agreed.

Beans

Question Re: nVidia 180.06 Rocks!

My graphics are all screwed up. Starting in low-res each time. Hope this driver fixes that. I've got a GeForce 6600 GT card. Anyone else had any problems with that card?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Kosimo View Post
    I've been always disappointed with all video drivers we had in linux, (AMD or nVidia) Very ugly 2D performance (specially nvidia) and tons of issues when mixing compiz and 3D or Video.
    Now, it's been almost a week that I've installed latest BETA drivers 180.06 from nvidia witch includes for the first time ever Pure Video on Linux.
    I am impressed with the general performance and stability. Compiz have never been that smooth, video has an amazing quality even when I'm moving my desktop cube, any 3D app can perfectly run with no issues also with compiz. In one word. IMPRESSIVE.
    I hope that this is not the final step but only the first step of a new nVidia drivers series that can finally put Linux at the same level than Windows Drivers stability and performance. I would like to ask you guys if anyone else is using 180.06 and know how you feel with them.
    where exactly do you get this driver?

EDIT: Nevermind, i found it here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us
    Last edited by kevin11951; November 23rd, 2008 at 04:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kevin11951 View Post
    where exactly do you get this driver?
    From nVidia official webpage. Follow this link

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by graabein View Post
    My graphics are all screwed up. Starting in low-res each time. Hope this driver fixes that. I've got a GeForce 6600 GT card. Anyone else had any problems with that card?
    I don't have this card... Which Drivers version are you currently using?
    Last edited by Kosimo; December 16th, 2008 at 02:41 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

the 180 series of drivers are great for me in linux (9800gtx).....but cause very frequent bsod's for me in windows. Irony anyone?
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quick question, is there a way I can find out what video card I'm using within Ubuntu? I know its some 8800 but I don't remember if its GT, GTS, or some other crappy naming system Nvidia came out with.
    Pain is Temporary, Quitting Lasts Forever

-Lance Armstrong

Page 1 of 145 1231151101 ... LastLast