Thread: Uneven Volume Gain

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Uneven Volume Gain

Whenever i try to play any sound (music, movies, games) that i either have to settle with the volume being quiet of very loud. Letme try to explain better.

If i adjust the volume slider in Ubuntu, if i put it anywhere below 3/4 it is practically muted. If i bump it up just a tiny bit it increases to a decent volume but not loud enough, its ok for system sounds but if i want to listen to music or watch videos i have to turn it up a little bit, but if i bump it up just a little bit more it just becomes uncomfortably loud.

So basically i only have 2 volume options: mild our extremely loud. While 3/4 of the slider bar is pretty much setting it to mute. I have tried setting all volume controls to max and just adjusting the master volume, but that doesnt even help.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a way i can maybe boost the volum a little extra so i can at least bring it to 1/2 where i will start to hear something?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Uneven Volume Gain

Hi BlackJesus,
    Have you checked your speakers? I know I have older speakers where the potentiometer is getting old and gives the same thing.

Matt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Uneven Volume Gain

I know its not because of my speakers being old. I bought this laptop brand new about a week and a half ago. It is also the same on the headphones i have that have no problem getting good volume on my ipod.

EDIT: I dont know how but i seem to have fixed it somehow while trying to get my microphone to work. Still can't get my microphone to work but at least the volume bar is perfect now.
    Last edited by blakjesus; November 24th, 2008 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Main Problem Solved