Thread: install xp or osx/osx86 after ubuntu and restore grub

Beans

Exclamation install xp or osx/osx86 after ubuntu and restore grub

Legal stuff.
    Warning: breaking the eula of apple or windows with or without legitamite licence is purely illegal.

Sorry guys but first i need to put out the legal stuff this thread will not go against the code of conduct on the forum.

http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/eula/home.mspx

Now lets get started.

This topic is for those who have installed ubuntu first and want to install xp or osx after ubuntu.

Thing's youll need for this.

Code:
    USB.

• Youll need the link to this page store it on the usb youll need it.
    Ubuntu 8.04 or .10 disk.
    • Youll need this to create 3 seperate partition's, using the partition tool Gparted
    Windows XP OEM Disk.
    • Youll need this to install the operating system.
    • Youll also need this to fix the bootloader if you have any problem's.
    OSX86/Apple Leopard 10.5.5 Install Disk.
    • Youll need this to install osx on a partition.
    • youll need this to reinstall the darwin bootloader.

Im going to put this in list order. Its easier to read out you wont make many mistakes, But you can always fix them.

Step 1.

Take your Ubuntu 8.04 Install Disk.
    • Boot into the Ubuntu disk(under try before install option).
    • Now once your logged in goto System>Administration>Gparted/Partition Editor
    • Now youll see a partition which is marked as EXT3
    • If you have this partition taking up the whole Hard Drive, Then right click>Resize/Move Resize it enough for 2 partition's.
    • Now create 2 Partition's.
    • The first NTFS you will install Windows XP on this Partition.
    • The second partition will be FAT32. You will install OSX on this partition. as you cant make HFS by default.
    • Click Apply after its finished your done. Log out of the disk.

Step 2.
    • Take your Window's XP OEM Disk.
    • Boot into it.
    • Now when you agree to the eula youll see the partition tool come up. now press enter on the one with NTFS and Quick Format it to NTFS or Keep the current file system option in the format menu.
    • Now let it install all the file's when its finished press enter at the restart prompt

Quick note: You will notice when you reboot an error will come up and it will restart dont panic the resolution comes next.

Step 3.
    • Take your Ubuntu Disk.
    • Boot into it now start the Terminal. in Application's> Accessories
    • Now put in the following commands.
    • sudo grub (wait for it to probe your BIOS)
    • Then find /boot/grub/stage1 press enter if it comes up with [hd0,0] then your set.
    • Now put in root (hd0,0).
    • And put in now put in setup (hd0)
    • Now to save everything you have done put in quit press enter.

Now you should boot into Ubuntu this what is supposed to happen.

The next step is abit more complex but not to hard.

Example of grub list located in /boot/grub/menu.lst

title Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-21-generic
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-21-generic root=UUID=de36de4b-554a-4a0a-b69c-9b3ad10279a1 ro quiet splash
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-21-generic
    quiet

title Windows Xp
    rootnoverify (hd0,2)
    chainloader +1
    makeactive

title MacOSX
    root (hd0,1)
    chainloader --force +1

Your wondering why am i showing this well if you notice there is after rootnoverify(recommended for Windows XP bootloader issue's) or root there is a (hd0,#) when your in gparted you will notice that there is /dev/sda1/ now Ubuntu is located on this one but you will notice (hd0,0)

so if sda1 it = (hd0,0) after root
    Step 4.
    • Download Gparted on your normal Ubuntu 8.04 installation in Synaptic.
    • Then goto System>Administration> then youll see Partition Editor(Gparted) see the sda number for your Windows XP install. (Now remember the method above.)
    • Now open Terminal and put in the following command gksudo nautilus(This will open Nautilus in root.)
    • Now goto File System youll see a folder called boot open it then youll see a folder called grub open that then look for the file menu.lst double click on it and it will open it in root.
    • Next you will have to edit the list to boot into Windows XP and finish the installation remember the method with sda1 = hd0,0
      Code:
      title Windows Xp
      rootnoverify (hd0,#)(Remember the method cut this text out.)
      chainloader +1
      makeactive
      Paste that into the end of the file edit it to fit with the gparted list remember NTFS.(Save the file and reboot)

Step 5.
    • Boot into Windows XP on the installation disk.
    • hold down the key R to go into the Recovery Console.
    • Now put in the following commands fixboot and then fixmbr.
    • Reboot and see if Windows XP starts up.

Note: Dont panic because grub wont show where about to restore grub right now.

Step 6.
    • Boot into the Ubuntu installation disk. Under the try before install option.
    • Then find /boot/grub/stage1 press enter if it comes up with [hd0,0] then your set.

Now we can finish the installation of Windows XP just start it up from the grub list with the xp disk inside your CD/DVD drive and it will finish hurray! you have Windows XP installed for what ever purpose.

The next step this is for users who want to install OSX/86

Please refer to the eula at the top of the post i am not giving any links to osx86 or hacked osx install's.

Note:This is for apple hardware also.

Step 7.
    • Boot into your OSX install disk
    • When you have agreed to the EULA goto Utilitys in the Global Menu
    • Click Disk Utilitys You will see the FAT32 partition. goto Reformat and reformat it to hfs+ Journaled
    • Once its done exit the utility.
    • Now install the operating system. Your done! .

Note: You will get an error at reboot dont panic where going to sort it out. by reinstalling grub and activating partition with OSX.

Step 8.
    • Boot into the Ubuntu installation disk. Under the try before install option.

Note:This next step is vital. Where going to add OSX to the grub menu.lst file.

Step 9.
    • Boot into Ubuntu.
    • Now open Terminal and put in the following command gksudo nautilus(This will open Nautilus in root.)
    • Now goto File System youll see a folder called boot open it then youll see a folder called grub open that then look for the file menu.lst double click on it and it will open it in root.
    • Next you will have to edit the list to boot into OSX but thats not the end of it.

Remember when your putting OSX in the menu.lst file.

To put it in like this.

Code:
      title MacOSX
      root (hd0,1)(Remember the sda1 = hd0,0 but apply to the OSX partition, cut this text out.)
      chainloader --force +1
    • Save the file.

Note:This next step is to fix the Darwin bootloader.

Step 10.
    • Boot into the OSX install disk.
    • Goto Utilitys and Terminal.(Now theres a different method to this one remember this sda1 = hd0,0 well forget that in this step just keep this one in mind flag2 = sda2)
    • Now put in the following command's fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 Press Enter, then flag#(remember flag# = sda#) Press Enter, then Write, update, quit, reboot

Ok if you have a problem with grub loading up just repeat Step 8.

You will probably be exhausted after this but guess what you have successfuly installed windows xp and osx after ubuntu.

Hurray,

Have Fun!
    Last edited by EnGorDiaz; November 24th, 2008 at 11:04 PM.

Beans

Steps on removing all change's. :D

Wait theres more if you get sick of both os's then you can simply get rid of them by following these steps

Note:back up all data on those partitions like on a dvd or cd .

Step 1.

• Boot into your Ubuntu live cd.
    • Now once your logged in goto System>Administration>Gparted/Partition Editor.
    • Right click on the 2 partitions (NTFS and HFS+) and delete the them, click apply.
    • Then right click your EXT3 partition and click Resize/Move
    • then resize it to take up your whole drive.

Step 2.

• Boot into Ubuntu normaly.
    • Then open up the Terminal and do the following commands gksudo nautilus.
    • then navigate to the File System then youll see a folder called boot goto to it and go into grub.
    • Find the menu.lst open it and simple take out the Windows XP and the OSX entrys out of the list.

and your done.

Beans

Re: install xp or osx/osx86 after ubuntu and restore grub

also for gentoo users and others there is a main thread to grub reinstall

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...t=live+cd+grub

Beans

Is there a way to install MAC OS X LEOPARD on my PC?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by retskrad View Post
    sorry but i am not aloud to give you detail as to how on this forum

there is a way to and its called osx86 thats the only thing i can tell you

Beans

Hello,
    I have an HP NC8000 laptop and came across this site and decided I would give the JAS OSx86 10.5.4 OSx install disc a try. I installed this to my HP that already had Ubuntu 8.10 installed so it seems this configuration was a little bit different from others who have posted in this section. In any case, after booting with the JAS 10.5.4 install disc, I went through the installation and selected the appropriate install options for this PC:

Kernel Packages:
    StageXNU
    Audio Drivers:
    AC97Audio
    Device Identification
    Atheros Wireless Adapter
    Intel ICH and PIIX Controller

However, after rebooting from the OSx install, I cannot get OSx to load and no GRUB boot menu option was created by the JAS install disc. Here is the output of my fdisk (listing partitions and filetypes): (sudo fdisk -l)

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 1 2231 17920476 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2 * 2232 9729 60227685 5 Extended
    /dev/sda5 * 2232 4162 15510694+ af Unknown
    /dev/sda6 4163 4445 2273166 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sda7 4446 9729 42443698+ 83 Linux

/dev/sda5 is the partition that OSx was installed to and it is under the /dev/sda2 Extended partition. Will installing OSx to this partition be a problem? Also, I tried to create another partition (using Gparted Live CD) under /dev/sda1 but no matter what filetype I created this partition in, the JAS OSx86 install disc would not install to this partition).

So now my NC8000 boots Ubuntu without issue but my mac OSx partition is not accessible and will not boot during startup. Any ideas for how to fix this? I have searched around A LOT for users that have installed OS X in this manner but none have had this problem apparently (most likely because they installed OS X on a clean system without WinXP/Vista/Ubuntu.

Also, I did some research and created the following entry in my /boot/grub/menu.lst to create a Mac OS X boot entry in GRUB:

title MacOSX
    root (hd0,1)
    chainloader --force +1

When I try to select this entry from the GRUB menu, I get a "Loading stage 1...@#$@%" and then the system hangs. When I change the root (hd0,1) to root(hd0,2), I get a lot of hard drive activity and then a "Loading stage 2..." and the system hangs.

Please help!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by retskrad View Post
    it depends a bit on your hardware, so if you follow the hint you've been given be sure to check hardware compatibility before installing anything

Beans

Thanks for your detailed guide, so much work, very much appreciate your sharing the steps. I learned a lot. For me, the dual boot Ubuntu/XP works, but with OSX install at Step 7, the reformat of the FAT32 partition (convert to hfs+ Journaled) fails: [quote> Disk Utilitys You will see the FAT32 partition. goto Reformat and reformat it to hfs+ Journaled[/quote] The FAT32 partition is greyed out, will not mount, will not, reformat to hfs+ Journaled. Tried various techniques to make the reformat work, others have the same problem: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lof...hp/t86569.html Nothing there worked for my install though. So I'm stumped -- any suggestions for a way reformat that FAT32 partition for my OSX install?

Beans

Question Re: install xp or osx/osx86 after ubuntu and restore grub

Excellent Post!

I do however have a few questions:

Does OSX require a primary partition, or can i use a logical partition?

Should i be installing chameleon as a boot loader, then over writing with GRUB, or don't install chameleon?

This might be a silly question, but is hfs+ journaled file system the same as extended journaled file system?

Will this code work with GRUB 2, or only GRUB Legacy?
    Code:
    title MacOSX
    root (hd0,1)(Remember the sda1 = hd0,0 but apply to the OSX partition, cut this text out.)
    chainloader --force +1
    Thanks!