Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: UH OH Microsoft!! (Google Chrome)

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: UH OH Microsoft!!

How does this relate to a new browser about to be published by Google?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Speck View Post
    Just because it works for you doesn't mean it will work for everyone.
    Worked for most everyone I've ever introduced to Linux, well over two dozen people over a wide range of hardware, I'd say it's rather conclusive.

Though I will admit if you only use wireless (Which is evil anyways, I always go wired if I can help it.) then you're more likely to not get your hardware working right off the bat because of it.

And I said MOST hardware, not all. Try installing NON-OEM Windows and Ubuntu on the same machine, you might be surprised how far BEHIND Windows is on hardware support out of the box.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by YaroMan86 View Post
    Worked for most everyone I've ever introduced to Linux, well over two dozen people over a wide range of hardware, I'd say it's rather conclusive.

Though I will admit if you only use wireless (Which is evil anyways, I always go wired if I can help it.) then you're more likely to not get your hardware working right off the bat because of it.

And I said MOST hardware, not all. Try installing NON-OEM Windows and Ubuntu on the same machine, you might be surprised how far BEHIND Windows is on hardware support out of the box.
    Devices always work on windows, thats why people use it. It has the BEST 3rd party support hands down. Linux lacks this and needs to get it together in terms of drivers and compatibilities.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CholericKoala View Post
    Devices always work on windows, thats why people use it. It has the BEST 3rd party support hands down. Linux lacks this and needs to get it together in terms of drivers and compatibilities.
    Provided you run to their websites (IF networking is functional.) and download their drivers. Again, everyone I've converted to Linux didn't have to do that when they installed Ubuntu, the drivers were all available.

Sure, the hardware manufacturers aren't making drivers themselves, but I find that out of the box everything working beats 5 hours of hunting for drivers.

Beans

Provided you run to their websites (IF networking is functional.) and download their drivers. Again, everyone I've converted to Linux didn't have to do that when they installed Ubuntu, the drivers were all available.

Sure, the hardware manufacturers aren't making drivers themselves, but I find that out of the box everything working beats 5 hours of hunting for drivers.
    That's weird. Ubuntu failed on all my test subjects, while windows took less than a minute. Ubuntu should advertise what devices always work so we can pick and choose our computers we build based on what works with the OS. But that wouldn't be good for marketing.

Beans

That's weird. Ubuntu failed on all my test subjects, while windows took less than a minute. Ubuntu should advertise what devices always work so we can pick and choose our computers we build based on what works with the OS. But that wouldn't be good for marketing.
    And you believe yourself to be the rule and not the exception because...?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

And you believe yourself to be the rule and not the exception because...?
    You should ask yourself the same question.

Beans

everyone else agrees with me at my school, and my profs, and most people in this forum whom ive talked to, except a few. I thought it was common knowledge that Microsoft is great with devices, but lacks stability, and Linux was great with stability but lacked compatibility.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I had 4 people at my college try Ubuntu on their laptops. Only one could get the wireless to work. None of them switched for the obvious reasons.
    I did get wireless to work on my laptop only to have a kernel update kill the wireless and add/remove programs. I was able to fix it some 10 minutes later. But I am not sure how a Windows user trying out Ubuntu for just a few weeks would deal with updates killing key features.

Regarding Chrome, I see no use for it. I been using Firefox for a few years already on my Windows machines and now of course on Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by I-75 View Post
    Regarding Chrome, I see no use for it. I been using Firefox for a few years already on my Windows machines and now of course on Ubuntu.
    I use Chrome in Windows, but I doubt I'd use it in Linux.

I really think Google is being too ambitious with something it hasn't even fully released yet.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast